Turning a Fridge into a Kegerator/Lagering Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 30639

Reaction score
In my short time as a brewer, about a year or so, I've just bottled all my beer. But, someone in my office has offered to give me their old fridge since they're remodeling their kitchen.

This works out nice, since Mrs. TexasSpartan has been bugging me that we need to buy a freezer. My thought, I get the lower half to either convert to a kegerator or use as a lagering fridge. The Mrs. has also said my birthday present this year is a kegerator.

My question, if I buy one of those johnson control units for the fridge, will that affect the freezer as well, or are the temperature controls separate?

Thanks in advance.

It'll effect the freezer as well. Your best bet is to use the fridge as a kegerator. You won't need a temp controller and the freezer will remain a freezer. For a kegerator you don't need to be exact on temp. For fermentation you do.

Latest posts

Back