Adding wort to the secondary or keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shildebr

Reaction score
I brewed an Irish Red Ale a little over a week ago, and the color just didn't look right to me, so I went back to the LHBS and found out that I had used the scale incorrectly, and didn't get enough roasted barley or crystal 60.

I'm not concerned much about the final product, I know it will be beer regardless, but it got me thinking.

Could I prepare a mini-mash of say 2 oz roasted barley, and 2 oz of crystal 60, with 12 oz of water, boil that for about 20 mins, cool it, and add it to my secondary when racking?

Besides infection, what risks do I run by doing this? Bitterness?

I'm eager to hear if anyone has done this. Thanks!

You will be adding sweetness to your beer. It will be too cold for the yeast do consume the sugar. IMO, wort doesn't usually taste very good. If you're concerned about color I think Weyerman makes a coloring agent that is flavorless. I don't know a lot about it.

You will be adding sweetness to your beer. It will be too cold for the yeast do consume the sugar. IMO, wort doesn't usually taste very good. If you're concerned about color I think Weyerman makes a coloring agent that is flavorless. I don't know a lot about it.

I'm not concerned with color if it means negatively impacting the taste. I agree wort usually doesn't taste very good, just not sure how much effect 8-12 oz of unhopped wort in 5 gallons would have.

I think I might still try a small-scale trial with 1/4 oz wort into a pint, and see how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back