Filling kegs without CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAC762

Reaction score
Every summer, a group of friends and I rent a beachhouse. Several years ago, we all chipped in for a kegerator for sanke kegs. It holds a half barrel, and a sixth. In the off season, it is usually stored in a friend's garage in VA. I am not set up for corny kegs and generally only make wine, so I don't really want to invest in a set-up. I would, however, like to keg a batch of apfelwein in a sixth barrel and bring it down to my beachhouse this summer to use in our kegerator.

In college, we used to refill half barrels with jungle juice for dispensing at parties, so I know sanke kegs can be refilled. My question is regarding oxidation. I see that it is recommended that kegs be purged with CO2 prior to sealing them. Since I would be filling the keg at my home, I would not have access to the C02 bottle in our kegerator. Would leaving some O2 in the keg before sealing totally ruin the apfelwein, or would it be negligible, like the small air pocket in a beer bottle?

Also, would there be a problem with not immediately pressurizing the keg?

I've gotten away with kegging without pressurizing a couple of times. It should be noted that I naturally carbed these kegs. After a couple of days I pulled the release and vented it, then let it do its thing. I also never really moved the kegs until it was time to go in the kegerator. I'm not sure if splashing around in the back of your car on the way to the beach would be such a good idea with a pocket of 02 in the keg. It might be a PITA, but is there any way you can seal up the carboy and rack it once you get to the beach? There should be a nice pocket of co2 in the carboy to keep it safe.

Thanks for the replies. I don't know why I didn't think about using 12 gram cylendars. I should be able to purge without a problem. I have a full-auto BB gun that should provide all of the CO2 I need. Assuming I purge with CO2, can I store and move an unpresurized keg for a week or 3?

I'd rather force carb when I get it to my beachhouse to avoid excess sediment.

I have heard that the CO2 cartridges for paintball guns and BB guns is NOT FOOD SAFE...it contains a lubricant.

I cannot say if that's true or not.
I can say that my LHBS and all online shops sell 12 and 16 gram cartridges for cheap...cheap enough I've never tried to get a cheaper price by buying BB cartridges.

Latest posts

Back