Brewing with a stomach bug...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srkaeppler

Reaction score
Hey All-

I am not sure this in the correct forum, but I feel it is somewhat of a beginners question. I have a stomach virus or something that has been affecting me for the last few days. I thought I was better yesterday, but still had some problems. Anyway, I wanted to start a new brew today, which will take up to a month in secondary. I started the yeast last night and plan to get a starter going in a little while. I have just been wondering whether I should proceed on actually brewing or not. The way I see it, a batch of beer is the perfect place for a virus or anything organic to grow. Anyway, just looking for a bit of advice or suggestions. Like I say, this is more in the stomach area, not a respiratory thing.

Thanks all!

Steve

The way I see it, a batch of beer is the perfect place for a virus or anything organic to grow.
Steve

Actually not. It has a low pH and the hop compounds which are antiseptic to many organisms. When the yeast start making alcohol, then you have the power of alcohol on your side killing other organisms. However, there are a couple of bugs that can thrive in this environment...namely acetobacter which turns alcohol to vinegar, and some wild yeasts/molds. You should be fine brewing while sick as long as you are not sneezing or barfing into the cooled wort and keep everything sanitized like always.

wear mask! :D

yea, the stomach virus season is starting - same here, wifey is down, I'm drinking bit more home brew than usual and feel only weak symptoms. wonder if the yeast in the brew somehow helps...

I'd argue that the only side effects from sneezing into the wort would be taste due to bodily secretions (and even then in a 5.5 gallon batch, who can taste a little snot?). Viruses cannot readily live in wort if I remember right, they need a host.

Back