Keezer Build Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm picking up a Haier 5 CF Chest Freezer tomorrow. I plan on turning it into a Keezer of course. Have I read that I will cause overheating issues with these if I cover the outside with wood panels? I plan on paneling three sides and leaving the back open for airflow. Am I asking for trouble?

i am new to this but just built my keezer.. how an why would you do this? dont take my post the wrong way. I am curious and am just confused, not being a smart ass.

As long as it's not a weird one vents on the side, you should be ok. The main thing is making sure you have proper ventilation for the compressor. If you covered up/didn't have exhaust for the compressor, it would probably cycle a lot, have trouble keeping temps, and wear the heck out of it.

There's a thread I saw the other day where a member did this, looked pretty good. Sorry, not quite awake enough to get the energy to search. Let us know how it turns out!

OHHHH now i understand what you mean. I thought you were asking about a 3-sided collar... which made no sense to me.

Gotcha.

Many newer freezers cool by passing the heat through the sides. That is why, in general, it is not advised to cover the sides without adding some holes in the cover and/or leaving a gap between the cover and the sides of the freezer to circulate air. My freezer has the old fashoned fins on the back to disapate the heat. I still left a 3/4' gap just to be safe. Mine is a new Magic Chef from home depot.

Thanks guys, sounds like I would be best to leave a airspace between the panels and the freezer exterior. Or maybe opening up the rear panel where the compressor is. I'll check it out today after I pick it up.

Take a look at the Keezer link in my sig - there is some good info in there on ventilation concerns and how to get air flow (at least how I did, anyway! :D)

your intuition was correct.

Freezers will still freeze at their highest (or lowest depending on how you are thinking of it) setting. You need ito wire a temperature controller such as a LOVE controller or a Ranco. Johnson controls makes one as well. I am about to install my Ranco controller right now... funny you should ask this ha ha

your intuition was correct.

Freezers will still freeze at their highest (or lowest depending on how you are thinking of it) setting. You need ito wire a temperature controller such as a LOVE controller or a Ranco. Johnson controls makes one as well. I am about to install my Ranco controller right now... funny you should ask this ha ha

Thanks for the info. I checked into it and am coming up with a design that the DW won't mind seeing in the bar area of our den.

Ron, plug the freezer in and feel the outside front and the sides after its been running for a while. The compressor is not the only part of a refrigeration system that develops heat. After the compressor comes the condenser which dissipates heat from the compressed liquid refrigerant, then the cooled(room temp) refrigerant goes to the evaporator which cools the freezer. Any heat you might feel on the front or sides is coming from the condenser and needs airflow so you dont pump hot refrigerant to the evaporator. The front on mine does put out a good deal of heat.

Back