Increasing alcohol content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djedhead

Reaction score
Is there a way to increase the alcohol content without damaging the taste
I want to make a Belgian double with more of a kick

more alcohol will always effect taste. though adding some corn sugar or a specific alcohol boosting sugar will work. could also just brew with 1/2-1 gallon less water though this will make the flavor stronger all around.

if its for flavor just add some sugar. to get drunk just take a shot rum before drinking.

Considering you are making a Belgian brew, might as well you Belgian candi sugar to boost the alcohol.

IMHO, belgian candi sugar is a ripoff. I've inverted table sugar before, but it seems to taste exactly the same as regular table sugar in the end result.

EvilTOJ +1, I use dark belgian candi if called for, but if it's light, table sugar does the same. I'm starting to think that brown sugar would be just as good as dark candi.
I like meads and braggots also, so I have no problem with adding up to two pounds of a light clover honey, but it does lighten/mellow out the beer, but when your making a slap in your face IPA it kind of helps.
If all else fails, dumping in a bottle of vodka would work also.

BrewVint Alcohol Boost from austin Home Brew has been talked about a lot here - most say it does not change the taste of the beer. Add's about 1%

55% maltose and 45% glucose. This dry sugar adjunct will boost the alcohol content without changing the taste, color, or aroma of the beer.

Back