Aerating Imperial Stout after primary ferm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmick

Reaction score
I'm making an Imperial Stout in the style of Dogfish's World Wide Stout, OG 1.12, target ABV ~15%, after continually feeding the yeast sugar during fermentation. These sugar additions are something that they do frequently at DFH to bump up body and ABV.

My question is, the technique calls for aerating the beer after putting it into secondary, since another starter of strong yeast (I'm using WLP099) will be pitched and needs O2 for its general health and well-being, also to eat up the next round of sugar additions it will be getting. Will this oxidize the beer and give me a wet cardboard taste? I think the method behind this madness is that this beer is so big / young that it can handle it after the primary (8 days or so) and won't suffer. Thoughts?

I've made beer that big without the aeration in secondary.

These sugar additions are something that they do frequently at DFH to bump up body and ABV.

Don't know why you are asking since you know so much about what they are doing. Sounds like you should know the answer to your question, before you even asked it. :)

These sugar additions are something that they do frequently at DFH to bump up body and ABV.

I would think this would bump up the abv but bring down the body.

As far as aerating/oyxgenating after primary fermentation if it was me I wouldn't do it. If you are adding extra yeast to the secondary I would make a well aerated/oygenated starter wort to build up the yeast numbers and get them ready, then decant and pitch into the secondary.

Latest posts

Back