My first All-Grain...Illustrated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's cold trub? and, Can I use my 7 gallon plastic fermenter for an AG brew?

-awesome post, I really enjoyed that. I'm hoping to do my first AG in a couple weeks, when I get my turkey fryer through the mail. This slideshow really helped me understand a few things.

only a homebrewer and a true fan of beer would understand photographing their first brewing session

salud!

seefresh said:

-awesome post, I really enjoyed that. I'm hoping to do my first AG in a couple weeks, when I get my turkey fryer through the mail. This slideshow really helped me understand a few things.

OT....the cold trub is another word for cold break, ie the protein material left in the pot when you quickly cool the wort. I use a 6.5 Gallon. You can do any size with AG. You can scale it up or down, depending on how much grain you use. I shoot for 7 gallon full boils and collect around 6 gallons of wort.

seefresh said:

Cold break trub occurs when you cool down your boiled wort quickly. Something you want to do to minimize contamination and it is also supposed to help break the proteins for a cleaner beer. Folks on the forum who know more than I do (everyone) can explain all the benefits of a quick cool down.

Unfortunately, you can end up with this trub which looks like snow flakes settling at the bottom. The good news is that I was concerned for no reason. This morning, after my 48 hours of active fermentation, the trub looks like it's settled down to about 1 inch of compacted material. I should be able to siphon off the top.

Yes, you can use your 7 gallon plastic fermenter. I chose to siphon into the glass carboy so I could watch the fermentation. It was just a personal preference on this AG batch. Using the 7 gallon bucket has a few advantages...little to no likelihood of blowoff, easier to sneak a peak and take a gravity reading...easier to aerate...and it leaves your carboys open to use as secondary fermenters. I happened to have an extra glass carboy sitting around and at 6 1/2 gallons, it's not likely to blow off.

silver02ws6 said:
Looks good i hope to join the ranks of all grain brewers soon.

Austin

I did 4 extract brews before I made the jump. I loved the extract process and results and when you're locked inside the house due to weather, it's convenient to do partial boils on the stove.

HOWEVER...when you go through the process of steeping all those grains, watching all your homemade equipment at work and catching the neighbors looks of astonishment as you're standing over a boiling caldron in your driveway...that's when you know it was worth it. :mug:

Great post. Its hard for people to visualize that stuff before they do it sometimes. The video was the best. That would be a good screensaver if it were higher res.

Awesome! Bravo!!! :rockin:

5 gallon Rubbermaid?

I made one like it last weekend. I'm going to brew my 1st all grain this weekend.

You are an inspiration to us all. :mug:

Lazarus Long said:
Awesome! Bravo!!! :rockin:

5 gallon Rubbermaid?

I made one like it last weekend. I'm going to brew my 1st all grain this weekend.

You are an inspiration to us all. :mug:

Thanks. You'll have a great time. Take your time and enjoy. :mug:

One note, next time I'll be a little more cautious on my strike water temp. Remember that it's easier to step the temperature up once it's in the mash tun than to bring it down. I got a little too close to going over that 160 mark.

Also, keep a few towels around. That stuff looks harmless, but it is sticky as heck.:eek:

It moved a little quick but very nice! Also I didn't know you were supposed to keep that plastic lid on the airlock..I thought it would blow off. I've been using them without it..silly me:D

Dan

Willsellout said:
It moved a little quick but very nice! Also I didn't know you were supposed to keep that plastic lid on the airlock..I thought it would blow off. I've been using them without it..silly me:D

Dan

If you move your mouse around a control panel will pop up and you can extend the # of seconds between slides.

Yeah, those holes in the fermentation lock "caps" are real small...hard to see.

KalvinEddie - After seeing the pics of your immersion chiller I decided to make one last night. Really simple but it doesn't leak...I can't wait to use it on my first AG attempt next weekend! :rockin:

Back