My Attempts at harvesting "super pacman" yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I did some research, and many brewers beleive that top cropping yeast during active fermentation is a way to harvest the best of the yeast, and some claim that it is almost "super" in its abilities to attenuate and start up quickly.

I have a 1.052 american amber that was just starting to wind down after 3 days with pacman and there was a tiny layer of foam left on the top. I made 1 quart of 1.040 starter and just for the heck of it, i skimmed 1 tbsp of the foam from the top of the beer, with a sanitized spoon.

Woudn't you know it, this morning, that little bit of "super yeast" had a nice krausen going on my starter! I am going to step this up to a 2 litre starter and pitch into 1.055 IPA/APA type thing.

I am expecting good things, pacman always is a beast, but now I have cultured the best of the best!

Does anybody else have any experiences to share with top cropping yeast?

If you harvest the yeast when it's most healthy and active, which is great if you're going to repitch it (into similar/identical wort) right away, it should be expected to kick of quickly and perform very well. However the 'super' things about top cropping is that you don't have to wait longer to harvest, or wash the trub and gunk once it settles, and if you skim the brown gunk off the top first you can get great clean samples. Otherwise it's 'just' the same yeast selected and harvested at a different point of the cycle. Usually one would top crop at high Kräusen (rather than when it's starting to wind down) as this also has the advantage that the blanket of yeast provides some protection from infection when you open the top of the fermenter to harvest.

Back