Competition in 5 weeks, recipe suggestions plz.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Turns out a competition in Sept. for Toronto Beer Week has some great prizes, and is FREE to enter. It's not BJCP judged, but is using the categories.

I have the following ready to enter:

Saison
Oatmeal American Brown
Lake Walk Pale Ale
Belgian Strong Golden
Kolsch

Wondering what some quick brews are that might do well in a comp?

I should clarify that I keg.

Mostly anything save for an RIS or higher gravity Belgians or so. Ferment a week, cold crash and carbonate for a week, 3 weeks conditioning time. Possibilities are endless.

I would probably ferment two to three weeks at least to have longer yeast contact, use a fining agent to clear quickly and carb the rest of the time. You should be able to get something under 1.05 pretty tasty by then.

Looks like you keg, so anything that will be done fermenting in 2-3 weeks. I would:

Primary for 2-3 weeks, crash it, set at 30psi for 2 days, then use the remaining time for cold conditioning.

I would probably ferment two to three weeks at least to have longer yeast contact, use a fining agent to clear quickly and carb the rest of the time. You should be able to get something under 1.05 pretty tasty by then.

If you're pitching enough healthy yeast and keeping your fermentation temperatures low, there isn't any need for longer yeast contact. Given the time frame, I believe it would be more beneficial having the beer carbonated correctly and cold longer rather than sitting on the yeast doing nothing.

Back