Five Butts!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a whole pot of coffee, im amped and ready for the day!
1943-smokinpork2011-001.jpg

1945-smokinpork2011-004.jpg

1944-smokinpork2011-007.jpg

Looks good. In the 2nd picture is that the skin still on it or just the fat layer? It almost looks like skin.

Do you keep them in the pans the whole time?

Yes it is the skin(the best part IMO), i usually use the pans for the 1st 6hrs or so just to aid in keeping the meat moist, then i take the meat out to get that good bark on the outside. I also spray each one down with applejuice every hr or so.

Yes it is the skin(the best part IMO), i usually use the pans for the 1st 6hrs or so just to aid in keeping the meat moist, then i take the meat out to get that good bark on the outside. I also spray each one down with applejuice every hr or so.

Are they shoulder cuts? They don't really look like it but I have never seen skin on a butt before, only shoulders.

My wife got me a smoker for Christmas and my dad sent me wood chips (happy coincidence) and I have been meaning to get it set up to try out. These pictures inspire me.

Looking at this really makes me want to hurry up and get a couple more drums so I can just cook up a whole case of butts.

Don't worry I took them out Just after i posted the pic, they are nice and moist and the fat has already liquified through the meat. Only got two hours left and the bone is nice and loose.

My neighbor would have a heart attack if he saw you smoking in pans. He dropped off a Pork Butt at 3pm that he started at 11pm last night. It was ****ing delicious while I was pulling it....until I over ate on the bark and started feeling sick.

Back