Water-to-grain ratio question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
If I'm steeping specialty grains (full extract) or mashing grains (BIAB partial mash), how does the water-to-grain ratio affect the final product? I do full boil 5 gallon batches, and it is easier for me to steep in more water due to the size of my pot and desire to get the grains fully saturated. Would using more water than the 1.5 quarts per pound of grains that I've seen on here change the outcome? How so?

Steeping ratio isn't really important. Mashing ratio is more important, but less important than many people think. The traditional mash ratio is 1 to 1.5 quarts per lb. Traditional German mashes are usually thinner, maybe 1.75 qts/lb. One problem with a thin mash is that you have less sparge water. But is this really a problem? The Australian BIAB method calls for mashing with all of your brewing water - mash and sparge at once. One consideration is the size of your mash tun. If your tun is small then you simply may not have room for a thinner mash.

Since I do partial boil/partial mash biab,I use 2 gallons of water for 5-6lbs of grains. I sparge with 1.5 gallons for a boil volume of 3.5 gallons in my 5 gallon kettle. That's as much as I can do & have a little room for the hot break. So at this point when steeping,I'm in the habit of using the same water to grist ratios as mashing. but a gallon or two for steeping grains is ok,since they're already converted & you're just sokaing out the sugars already in them.

Don't steep in full boil volume, at least I would not go over a gallon per pound and most would say go less. You will extract tannins.

Why would this extract tannins? You wouldn't be sparging the grain and the temperature would be the same throughout the steep. Ph?

Why would this extract tannins? You wouldn't be sparging the grain and the temperature would be the same throughout the steep. Ph?

Agree with this. Tannin extraction is a factor of pH and temperature. The amount of water would not have any effect.

Correct Malticulous doing decoctions you boil but that is why you boil the thickest part of the mash. With steeping temp plays a hand in pH getting out of control as well.

With decotions you boil the thick to save enzymes, then boil the thin for mash out once your done with the enzymes. There is certainly husk in the thin mash, at least the way I pull it.

I like longer boils so I tend to go on the high side...sometimes even 2 quarts per pound. Just did this with a saison and feel good about the results, hit my numbers spot on.

Back