Orange Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJoeC

Reaction score
I will be brewing this Extract kit with specialty grains from midWest called Boundary Waters Wheat on Saturday.

6lbs Wheat LME
1/2 lb. Caravienne
1/2 lb. Carapils
1 oz. Sterling hops
1 oz. Palisade aroma hops

I considered adding 1/2 oz. german Hallertau hops at some point for just a little more hop flavor. I am a HUGE IPA fan. BUT I don't know that i will do it.

I am going to add orange to it by zesting a 2 naval oranges and 2-3 clementines and adding the zest to the boil with the aroma hops for the last 2 minutes.

I will primary for 2 weeks with White Labs Hefe IV Ale yeast.

I will steep 2 naval and 3 clementine oranges at 150-160 for 10 minutes with just enough water to cover the oranges and a couple tsps of confectioners sugar. I'll cool the oranges, crush slightly and add to a secondary for a week or 2.

Then I'll bottle and condition for about 2 weeks.

Any thoughts? maybe scrap the 2 tsps of sugar? Maybe add the extra hops? Up or lower the oranges?

May want to play around with putting the zests in a mesh bag and doing the flavors in a secondary. Not sure how long they should "steep" though - orange is a pretty powerful flavor. I would think the zests would be the way to go though as they have much more staying power than the actual oranges.

You may also want to go with lighter hops like a cascade at 60 minutes instead of the Hallertau, but I guess a lot of that is your preference.

I'm very interested in your idea. Let us know how it turns out!

Scott

Yeah, today is the day. I'm going to go with zests in the boil for last 2 minutes. Not sure about adding the hops.

Latest posts

Back