3000ml and bigger flasks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan1979

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using a 2000ml flask for my starters. I wanted a bigger one so I found one on Amazon. It came from a seller I was familiar with.

Amazon.com: Erlenmeyer Flask, 3000ml/1pk: Industrial & Scientific

So I was heating up a 2250ml starter today and the damn thing started dripping so I tried to pick it up off my SQ14 and it cracked it two! All of the wort came out. I felt a little hit my foot but I didn't get much of a burn, if any.

The brand was United and made in India. My 2000ml flask is Kimax and has worked well.

What do you use for a larger flask and where do you buy them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that sucks man, glad you didn't get burned. Mine just says Borosil on the outside, got it from a local medical supply place here in Salt Lake. I know Kimax is a trustworthy brand as well.

The brand was United and made in India.

My 3000 ml is a Borosil and has been on the gas stove for many time. It has a holographic label on it that says Genuine Borosil though.

I can my starter wort, so now I just sanitize it and pour the wort & yeast in it and put it on the stir plate.

I also have a 2.5-3 gallon carboy labeled PYREX on the front...too chicken to try boiling in it though.

I've got a 5000ml United. I boil in it frequently, just a cup or so to steam up the inside really well, and steam the foam stopper. When there's almost no water left, then I'll dump in canned starter wort, like EdWort.

I'll have to remember not to put it on an SQ14, though!

Back