Help with Fermentation/Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baltjoe

Reaction score
Hello all,

Although not a newbie this is the first time I have run into this situation. I brewed an amber ale that was about 7lbs DME and kent goldings and saaz hops. It was close to a Boston Ale receipe. It was brewed on 3/31 and started fermenting with activity in the airlock on 4/1. I used Wyeast nutrient, aerated with pure O2 for about 3 minutes and the temp has been constant at 64 degrees. The yeast was WL East Coast Ale. The ferementation was vigourous for about a week. There is now airlock activity every 30 seconds or so.

My issue is that the wort/beer looks very mustardy cloudy, there are streaks down the side of the carboy and the Krausen is thick and looks like oatmeal.

I have attached photos. Any reason to be worried or just wait for ferementation to stop and rack to a secondary?

Thanks!

Joe

DSC04069.jpg

DSC04064.jpg

DSC04066.jpg

DSC04067.jpg

let it ride man. i use a plastic bung to go inside the mouth of the carboy and then put the airlock directly into it. the yeast obviously had a field day on your wort. is it a high gravity recipe?

this happened to me with a plastic bucket and an airlock. i had a little too much wort and thought it would be ok to overfill the bucket a little bit. had very hungry 1056 smack pack swelling for 24 hours and i threw a pound of belgian candi sugar in the boil so the wort was very sweet. in 3 days i noticed that there was a bunch of brown stuff in the airlock and it looked like my bucket was ready to explode. it was the krausen actually pushing its way up the airlock, down the bucket, and it jammed the airlock and almost popped its top.

i'm thinking the same thing happened to you. only in your case, you used a carboy. what i think is that your orange plastic cap spit krausen down your carboy.

my beer tastes awesome- i was initially concerned about a bug getting in it since it was exposed to the water in the airlock but it doesn't have any off flavors. i think once there is alcohol and hops and carbon dioxide in your wort, it's hard for other things to survive in there.

Back