Props to Northern Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImShero

Reaction score
I ordered a starter kit from them and when it arrived my auto siphon was cracked. I called and had a replacement within a few days. Anyone looking to get into brewing should check them out. Quality customer service is so hard to find anymore.

Thanks Northern Brewer

Shero

I like the emphasis on fresh malt extract and have made better beers using there LME they have very good packaging also, I didnt care for midwests packaging, im surprised my pellot hops didnt have holes in them as they were loose being thrown around.

I love Northern Brewer. Currently have their bourbon barrel porter in primary. Can't wait to drink that thing.

Their Brewing TV, blog, and resources page are great.

I bought a few things from them and everything was well packaged. The Star San and PBW were each in the own heavy, plastic bag that was tied up. I try to buy local, but I would not hesitate to recommend Northern Brewer.

NB gets the vast majority of my money... along with kegconnection for anything legging related. They're cheaper than my local and ingredients are always fresh, whereas my lhbs has the same junk on the shelves for months, and they're more expensive. Id support local if it was even remotely close in quality, but they can't compete.

Being on the east coast, I generally have to wait 4-5 days for them to get here, but Im pretty good at planning ahead, so no biggie.

JWest said:
I love Northern Brewer. Currently have their bourbon barrel porter in primary. Can't wait to drink that thing.

Their Brewing TV, blog, and resources page are great.

Let me know how that bourbon porter comes out...cuz it sounds very interesting!!
I just started but am really pleased with Northern Brewer (just bottled American amber ale and just ordered an IPA) and my eye is on that bourbon barrel porter for next time

Cheers

Love their brews. SWMBO has picked a few good randoms from them and i have had great service. first time i ordered. online order on thursday night. delivery on saturday. no joke!!! i live within 300mi and it made it here in no time. i will be visiting the actual store and picking up a few things in the next few weeks. never had a single prob.

I always order from NB. Great product and arrives fast. I have the bourbon porter kit but havent brewed it yet, let us know how it turns out. What kind of bourbon did you use?

I made the caribou slobber partial mash kit and that beer was fantastic! Had it opened for new years and they killed the keg that night! My friends are still talking about how great it was.

That's my LHBS and the guys (and the one girl) at the shop are incredibly helpful in person too. Great place.

I always order from NB. Great product and arrives fast. I have the bourbon porter kit but havent brewed it yet, let us know how it turns out. What kind of bourbon did you use?

It's still in primary, so I haven't added any bourbon yet, but I plan on using 20 oz. of Woodford Reserve. The kit calls for 16 oz, but I'm a bourbon fan and would like a bit more of the flavor. I'm going to soak the oak chips in the bourbon for a couple weeks, throw the bourbon and chips in secondary, and let it sit for at least a month.

I opened up an Irish Ale I brewed in Jan and really liked the flavor. We ordered 3 $20 extract brews from them and they all have been very good. the Inn Keeper was exceptional and thier packaging andservice is excellent. I have options with several LHBS but really enjoyed buying from them.

I've never had any issues with Northern Brewer, and for all the business that they do it's almost shocking how few times I've read about somebody else having issues either. I'm not sure the prices are always the best, but they mostly seem to be pretty fair. Processing and shipping it pretty quick, and I've had no complaints about the quality of anything I've bought from them. I really like my local shop so I try to spend most of my brew-$$ there, but if I'm ordering online I'm usually going to NB first.

I'm fortunate to live less than an hour from their St Paul store. Their in-store selection and customer service are excellent. The only problem is I always buy more than I intended when in the store. :mug:

agreed... greats service over at northern brewer. had a batch of liquid yeast arive "fried" (even with 2 cold packs), and they sent another for me. thanks NB!

I made the caribou slobber partial mash kit and that beer was fantastic! Had it opened for new years and they killed the keg that night! My friends are still talking about how great it was.

This is the 2nd reference I've come across to a partial mash kit for Caribou Slobber on Northern Brewer. Can you provide a link? All I can find is the extract kit w/specialty grains and the all-grain kit. Thanks.

I will also throw out there that AHS is great.
The other day I called up because they sent me the wrong size tubing to work with my auto-siphon and, as some of you have seen from my first brew post it ended up aerating my beer quite a bit.
A bit downtrodden I called them and explained the situation to their costumer service rep who immediately understood the problem and stated he needed to check with the owner about what he could do and would call me back.
Five minutes later I got a call back stating that the owner of AHS authorized a coupon code to cover the cost of the tubing and a whole new recipe kit to make up for the aeration caused.
Couldn't be happier, what a great company.

It would be the extract kit with specialty grain. The specialty grains would be your mini mash.

Back