Awesome states: WI, IL, MN, ND, MT, and WY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, but based on my experiences in WI, I can get better beer at a grocery store here than in a bar in Wisconsin. :D

It can be damn difficult to find a decent beer in WI. Even though WI drinks more beer than any other state. It's like being in St. Louis.

Dont know where you drank in WI, but it must have been way up north in some cabin "bar." The beers here are terrific. Its been known for a long time that in WI there are more bars per capita than any other place in the US. Its nice to go out to a bar and have the dilemma of not being able to pick a beer. Or joking with the waitresses because the place has 18 beers on tap, and they run through it like they get asked every time someone comes in. I could never move away. There is nothing like a night at the Essen Haus cheering people on as they finish a 4 liter mug!

huh, wonder what the define as BAR. I know in Bend we have more BrewPubs alone than grocery stores.

I can count 5 that are within walking distance of my house.

One thing about driving through the corn fields of WI though. Miles and miles of corn, no houses then you come around a bend in the road and there are 3 bars right next to each other selling 50 cent drafts with full parking lots. I always wondered where their patrons lived.

I always dread going back to my hometown in rural Illinois. The bars in my town only server canned beer and when the Memorial Day beer tent gets set up all they have on tap is Old Milwaukee, Old Milwaukee Light, and Berghoff Dark. The Berghoff isn't bad but it isn't great either.

I was born in Milwaukee. Whenever I go back I'm amazed at the number of bars there. Many are only big enough for about 10 people, but there are intersections where there is a bar on all four corners and there is no problem with a bar in a residential neighborhood. No need for drunk driving if you can walk a couple blocks.

There is nothing like a night at the Essen Haus cheering people on as they finish a 4 liter mug!

:mug:

Really depends on where you go in wisconsin. With so many bars and being "home" to Miller, some aren't going to be great with regards to beer selection but there are plenty of other great ones. Even Northern wisconsin where most people think Leinekugels is craft beer and good, you can find bars with Dogfish head 90 min on tap

Anybody been to Cafe Hollander in Milwaukee? Phenomenal selection

As someone who grew up in Wisconsin and now lives in New Orleans where they claim to drink a lot (so does the Northwest, but wow, those guys were done and I was just gearing up...), Wisconsin consumption of beer is only matched by Germany...and I think the last numbers showed Wisconsin consumed more per capita.

And no, not all beer there is bad...I'm sort of a Sprecher, New Glarus guy myself. But, Wisconsin breweries do make beer meant to be consumed, session beers, good beers, like Germany, which is what most of the breweries are modeled after. Not 12% Quadruple IPAs...

To the rest of you- your lack of consumption sickens me... ;)

Cheers to 25 cent taps in Wisconsin!
Aaron

I find it interesting that New Glarus, which only distributes in WI, sells more beer than Dogfish Head, which distributes nationally.

Yeah it's no secret WI has a lot of bars. In any given podunk town without a single stop light there will be 1 church, maybe a gas station and 2 or 3 bars. The ratio scales accordingly with population.

huh, wonder what the define as BAR. I know in Bend we have more BrewPubs alone than grocery stores.

I can count 5 that are within walking distance of my house.

Nah, you can see us on the map, but I think the dot is a little to the right of where it should be. It doesn't look like the most accurate map geography wise. Las Vegas is too high, and apparently Salt Lake City falls in the category...I don't think so.

New Glarus is awesome... everything I've ever had from them is amazing, and VERY, very "drinkable". We spent the weekend at a ski cottage in WI a few weeks back, and my buddy grabbed a 6'er of "Mudpuppy Porter" made by Central Waters Brewing Co. in WI, and it was in the top three porters I've ever had. And this was definitely a "dinky" brewery. Point Brewing has a very drinkable lager and pale ale I've had many times. Yeah, I'd say WI is a fantastic beer state. :)

Now that New Glarus has starting giving tours, as well as "come and check us out anytime" walk in sections of the new brewery, I love them even more. I understand their thinking, they actually went outside of the state at one point, but demand was so great, they had to pull back, or risk severe shortages everywhere. They would have lost valuable shelf and tap space by not being able to keep up with demand.

I live in Columbus WI (opo 5000) and if you want to get wild in a bar with an Extreme beer you have to order Stella.

HOWEVER - that isa small town thing - it's easy to find bars with over 100 bottles of craft brew, you just have to know the places.

As for New Glarus - it's getting more and more corporate style brews. Ale Asylum and Tyranenna are much better and don't even mention tha A-holes at Capitol Brewery - most homebrewers around here are anti Capital.

I remember the township I grew up in in NE Ohio had 15 bars in it at one time. That was back when most folk were employed by heavy industry/manufaturing at the time. I think there might be 5 left in this service economy. City of 4000, I live in now has one. They do have a selection of their own craft beers brewed by someone in Tampa, but I find them less than stellar.

If you ever run out of outfit ideas before going to the bar in Wisconsin, just run down to your local Shopko and grab yourself some Packer gear, or your Farm and Fleet and pick up some Realtree and you will be good to go.

I always did enjoyed walking out of Kwik Trip with a sixer of New Glarus and some chocolate milk.

If you ever run out of outfit ideas before going to the bar in Wisconsin, just run down to your local Shopko and grab yourself some Packer gear, or your Farm and Fleet and pick up some Realtree and you will be good to go.

I would add blaze orange

I always did enjoyed walking out of Kwik Trip with a sixer of New Glarus and some chocolate milk.

What about a Carhartt over a red flannel button up with jeans? I remember seeing that quite a bit in northern Wisconsin. It's also very popular around here as soon as you get ten minutes away from any 'town'.

I live in Columbus WI (opo 5000) and if you want to get wild in a bar with an Extreme beer you have to order Stella.

HOWEVER - that isa small town thing - it's easy to find bars with over 100 bottles of craft brew, you just have to know the places.

As for New Glarus - it's getting more and more corporate style brews. Ale Asylum and Tyranenna are much better and don't even mention tha A-holes at Capitol Brewery - most homebrewers around here are anti Capital.

I love capitol. probably one of the best tours as well. and in the summer they have movie night in there bier garten! I know established beer barons who love capitol as well. one went so far as to say their Autumnal Fire is his favorite beer (it's a dopplebock)

Honestly, New Glarus is probably my least favorite WI micro. Altho lately I've been enjoying them. They put out a red, Snowshoe, that was fantastic. Their stone soup has really grown on me as well. But Central Waters has some amazing stuff. Mudpuppy is awesome, as is their Imperial stout, satin solstace.

Yeah a "bar" needs to be defined. Restaurant bar? bowling alley bar? those included?

plus juan moar for WI

I was in Vegas last week and I expected some places to have what I consider to be "good beer". Nope, mainly Bud, Bud Light, Miller, Coors. etc. Although a couple places had severely over-priced Sierra Nevada and one burlesque show had Chimay (again overpriced). I did, however, find a bar on the strip that served 99 cent Guinness taps. In a 12 plastic cup but hey, it was cheap.

Nah, you can see us on the map, but I think the dot is a little to the right of where it should be. It doesn't look like the most accurate map geography wise. Las Vegas is too high, and apparently Salt Lake City falls in the category...I don't think so.

Hell, I thought that was Mitchell. Just because they lack a grocery store. ;)

Back