change beer color at bottling time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leoglenwood

Reaction score
I made a barleywine (1.090) that is a little too light colored - it's sandy
and I'd like it to have more of the traditional BW color...

is it sensible or possible to change the color before I bottle?

can I take some 120L crystal or something else (suggestion?) and steep it in 1L or less of water, and then after I take the grain bag out, boil that with the priming sugar, cool it and then add it to the bottling bucket?

or no?

thanks

i believe sinamar would do the trick.....most add it during the boil but i think you can add it anytime can be found under beer additives

Color for tha sake of color seems off/odd to me. You just made a limited edition special...

What was the recipe/grain bill/hops schedule. It's possible you didn't make a barley wine, but more of a DIPA or "imperial ESB"

It'd be a DIPA but I put in the hops for bittering and aroma but (90mins and flameout)

it's within the range of color - but I'd prefer the Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot color to the Dogfish Old School color - which is what I've got

I am going to try that cool suggestion of using dark candi sugar... seems really interesting

it was 19 lbs 2 row, 1 lb Crystal 40, 1/2 lb 120, .25 Special B - 2 oz magnum 90 mins, 1 oz centennial, cascade, and 1.5 oz amarillo at flameout, plus 1lb of piloncillo for 6 gallons at 1.090

Back