Filling Corny like a growler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keg2881

Reaction score
I've found a supply of DF60 minute in a local store. They only have it on draft and I asked them if they'd fill one of my cornies. What would be the best way to do this? Can I have them fill it like they would if they were filling it like a growler, then drive it home and put it on CO2 and serve it?

I would think the best way to approach it would be to fill it through the "out" port there is the dip tube all the way to the bottom of the keg and leave the lid on the cornie I bet that would work like butter. Chopps

Would I be able to run some 3/8 liquid line off the tap and into the bottom of my corny and fill it that way?

Would I be able to run some 3/8 liquid line off the tap and into the bottom of my corny and fill it that way?

I'd think that would foam like a son of a gun. Even when you get a growler filled, with some tubing out of the tap, it foams and foams and loses carbonation quickly. I'd think you'd be running the risk of serious oxidation.

I'd purge your empty keg with CO2 before leaving home. If it were me, I'd rig up a piece of tubing attached to a liquid QD. Take it in, hook the tubing up to their tap and the liquid QD to your liquid post. Open the tap, and slowly vent pressure from the keg as it fills. It's as close as you can easily get to a counterpressure fill, (kind of a "we don't need no stinkin' beer gun" for a corny).

I'd purge your empty keg with CO2 before leaving home. If it were me, I'd rig up a piece of tubing attached to a liquid QD. Take it in, hook the tubing up to their tap and the liquid QD to your liquid post. Open the tap, and slowly vent pressure from the keg as it fills. It's as close as you can easily get to a counterpressure fill, (kind of a "we don't need no stinkin' beer gun" for a corny).

This is how I would have done it as well.

Well I got the beer transferred and into my keezer. It went way easier than I thought. I brought my beer out line that goes from the keg to shank. Turns out the shank disconnect fit the top of a sanke connector.

keg.jpg

Back