Bottle washer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerD

Reaction score
I've got one of those brass bottle and carboy washers. It works great, however I've stopped using it due to water hammer concerns(which are a real concern due to the noise throughout my house). Has anyone figured out a way to alleviate this problem? Thanks alot

Rip your walls open and fix the plumbing (by adding either extra pipe to make water-hammer absorbers or small captive-air tanks for the same purpose).

If your house already has the pipe extentions, it might get better for a while if you just drain all the pipes, so the "cushions" (capped sections of pipe) get filled with air - works until it all dissolves back into the water supply, though some optimists claim this never happens.

You MIGHT be able to add the captive-air type without actually ripping the walls open. MIGHT. (called "water hammer arrestor" in link below. Really just a small captive air tank, I think.)

Depending how you are plumbed, you can also slightly open a faucet further up the line, if there is a faucet further up the line.

I searched for some site with further explanation, this one looks OK, though I'm sure there are many others:
The Natural Handyman's Water Hammer Page

Latest posts

Back