Cinnamon Sticks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pintocb

Reaction score
Has anyone aged any cider on cinnamon sticks? How many did you use and how did it turn out? Are they really strong?

i made a brownsugar and cinnamon cider once, i stuck in two sticks for a 3 gallon batch for about a month to age... WAY WAY WAY to much cinnamom flavor... i would recoment trying 2/3 of a stick in a 5 gallon batch to test then add more until liking.

I am currently in the process of making a spiced cider and used 2.5 small sticks in a 5 gallon batch. When steeped with the other spices it smelled mellow enough. WE shall see though.

i use one stick in a 5 gal batch of mead. They are very strong and should be treated as using oak in a sense. I would recommend either using less or putting them in a hop bag so they can be removed when the cinnamon flavor is sufficient.

There are several factors that you have to take into account. Size is one. Cinnamon, or what we call cinnamon, is sold in 2" increments and can be found anywhere from 2" to 12".
Storage is also important. If your pulling it off your spice rack that sits right behind the stove it will be considerably weaker.
Age is another factor.
I put 2 2" sticks into three gallons and it hardly did anything. When I added 2 sticks (fresh) to another batch it was way to strong
Start light and increase if you need to.

Back