Saison braggot (mead)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soontobepcv

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm about to attempt a saison (Wyeast 3724) but will be using roughly 3.3 lbs. LME, 5 lbs. of honey, and 1.5 lbs. of evaporated cane juice (dark sugar), and probably 2-3 oz. of low-alpha hops. Assuming that it ferments at warm temperatures and the yeast develops the normal funkiness, will this taste like a saison? I think the yeast can go up to 12%, so it may end up fairly dry.

thanks for any advice.

Saison yeast + not a lot of flavors to get in the way = Saison I think? In other words I would think it would taste like a saison. My only concern from my little experience is that you may want to add some yeast nutrient because of the low'ish malt percentage, like you would in a mead. Not sure on this, but if it were me I'd use it to be safe. Make your yeast happy! :D

Your recipe would make old tyme saison-makers proud. It is a loose style that is very artistic, and your's will end up nice and dry and interesting. With the coming summer heat I am planning to do many saisons, and really get into some wild variations and ingredients.

Personally, I think there's not trueness to Saison other than the yeast, and you can probably fake that as well.

Saisons have very wide ranges, so you can almost take any yellow colored brew and call it a Saison.

While, as other people have said, the saison style is fairly lossely defined... however, to be considered a braggot rather than a honey ale, your honey:malt ratio needs to be at least 60:40... that is technically speaking.

Back