Please, Help Me Balance These 2 Kegs!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
A little info on my situation: right now I have 4 kegs carbonated. I have a sanyo kegerator with 2-tap tower and dual regs. I also have a large fridge with a couple picnic taps and another co2 tank. I've had great luck with all my batches WRT to foam up to this point...both on the picnic taps and on the tower.

So, I force-carbed a pilsner and a special bitter about a month ago. 35 psi for 48 hours, then offgas 3 times before serving. Same as I've done with the other kegs.

Except with these two, I always get a ton of foam on the first pull. I can't figure it out. I had them both in the sanyo kegerator, and at first I though maybe it was the length of the beer lines in the fridge (even though previous batches were fine). So I switched out the two kegs with a stout and an IPA that were in the big fridge with the picnic taps. Bam, they're fine in the kegerator. No excess foam at all. But when I put the pils and bitter on the picnic taps, I again get foaming, whereas I wasn't getting it with the stout and IPA on those taps.

So through this process of elimination, I know that it's not a problem with the beer lines, it's a problem with the kegs. So what should I do? I've already offgassed the bitter once---I took it off the gas, released the pressure from the keg probably 8 times over the course of 24 hours, and put it back on. Almost no difference. And the carbonation level is fine...it's just the initial foam.

So should I continue offgassing? What will solve this problem with these 2 kegs?

You don't mention how long you had each pair of kegs in each fridge but maybe the pils and bitter are just warmer than the other 2? The sanyo isn't cooling as much as the fridge? What your beer temp after pouring for each keg?
Maybe a tower cooler (blower set-up) would help too?

You don't mention how long you had each pair of kegs in each fridge but maybe the pils and bitter are just warmer than the other 2? The sanyo isn't cooling as much as the fridge? What your beer temp after pouring for each keg?
Maybe a tower cooler (blower set-up) would help too?

Given that I've switched them out from fridge to fridge and the problem follows the kegs, I don't think it's my equipment.

Back