have i created a bomb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlos

Reaction score
ive been bottling a few different brews (5 gallon ) with 100 g of sugar added to carbonate , some have had 125 g but none have really had a corbonation effect . they give a light fizz when opened but dont really continue to fizz afterwards .
ive just added 300g to a 5 gallon batch of appfel wein as i really want some fizz to this batch (after a champagne style ) but am now getting paranoid about the potential ticking bomb in my cupboard
the room holds a temp of around 21c so temp has not been my issue
have i gone overboard ? should i depressurise after a couple of days and reseal ?
cheers
carl

I had to do a Google calcultion to convert grams to oz., which is about 10.5 oz in this case. That seems like an awful lot of sugar. By my calculations you're going to be around 5 volumes of carbonation, and I have no idea of the type and quality of bottle you're using, so I can't really say if you're safe or not. It seems rather high to me.

carlos said:
ive been bottling a few different brews (5 gallon ) with 100 g of sugar added to carbonate , some have had 125 g but none have really had a corbonation effect . they give a light fizz when opened but dont really continue to fizz afterwards .
ive just added 300g to a 5 gallon batch of appfel wein as i really want some fizz to this batch (after a champagne style ) but am now getting paranoid about the potential ticking bomb in my cupboard
the room holds a temp of around 21c so temp has not been my issue
have i gone overboard ? should i depressurise after a couple of days and reseal ?
cheers
carl

How long do you store them @ 21c before you check them for carbonation?

i normally check em after about a week , but even after two weeks there really not that bubbly , just a slight formation on the glass but not bubbles coming up through the drink
the glasses are pretty heavy , old magners and bullmers cider bottles , i can always pop em after a few days and reseal . dont mind if the extra sugar makes it a bit stronger as i used champagne yeast it should handle it . just want to get a heavy carbonation
what amount would a standard beer have (for 5 gallon) ? i seen people using 3oz but even with 4 oz im not getting enough !
cheers guys

2 weeks is really not enough time to achieve full carbonation....That's why we talk so much here about 3 weeks being the minimum...I've had beers not carb for 3-4 weeks and suddenly *BAM* they were perfect. I've had others that weren't carbed on the 14th day, and were perfect on the 21st day....And I've had really heavy stouts and porters take 6-8 weeks til they came up to full carb.

Homebrew is not some instant thing, like making Koolaid, it is a living entity, made up of living organisms (yeasts) going through a cycle, and so it has it's own timetable....

Sometimes after 14 days it's helpful to gently roll them on a table top back and forth a couple times and put them back in storage for another 1-2 weeks, this re-rouses the yeasts to get them up and working again...

4.5-5 ounces is pretty much the standard amount for priming 5 gallon batches....most kits come with pre-measured 5 ounce bags of priming sugar...I buy in bulk and use 3/4 of a cup per batches, unless I'm carbing for style, then it varies....but for most of my house drinking ales it's 3/4 cups.

mmmm ok sounds like ive over done that one then , will depressurised after one week i think , ive done some in plastic bottle so i can feel how hard the bottles get to judge the pressure build up
cheers revvy

Back