Safe for nylon to touch bottom of kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckredbeard

Reaction score
I'm building my hop spider and using a 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag. Is there any danger of melting if I leave it long enough to touch the bottom of my kettle? It won't be going in until I am kettle full and near boil.

Yes it is fine so long as you don't try use one in a dry kettle....which I wouldn't recommend putting on a burner anyway as you can put a hole in your kettle that way.

As long as the wort is moving and boiling this is not an issue. Bags can scorch in a mash with the bag packed and sitting on the kettle bottom, but a hop bag is swirling around in the boil and doesn't see temps over 212, not an issue.

As long as the wort is moving and boiling this is not an issue. Bags can scorch in a mash with the bag packed and sitting on the kettle bottom, but a hop bag is swirling around in the boil and doesn't see temps over 212, not an issue.

Thanks wilser, from your sub heading, it sounds like you're the go to guy for grain bags

Back