Guess That Temperature!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
So I bottled my hefe last night after two weeks in primary. During those two weeks, the temps around here have fluctuated quite a bit but mostly they were on the warm side, so I had the carboy in a water bath and I added frozen water bottles every day. To the point, after removing the carboy from the water bath, this is what's left of my "Fermometer":

3764-DSC00193.JPG

Why the water bath? Just put a scoop or two of oxyclean or PBW, fill with warm water, let it soak. Clean the outside with simplegreen or another cleaner.

Evan! said:
Why the water bath? Just put a scoop or two of oxyclean or PBW, fill with warm water, let it soak. Clean the outside with simplegreen or another cleaner.

The carboy looked kinda stressed, I figured a bath would help it relax...

I've had this happen to me also after placing the fermenters in a water bath to cool down.

This is the MAIN reason why I now recommend using scotch tape to adhere the therm strips to the container. This way they can be removed when bathing. While in the bath I use a temp gage.

This works well and saves money because the therm strips aren't constantly being replaced. You can also remove them during washing. :D

yeah, I "lost" a fermometer that way, too. Now, when I do a water bath, I put the floating thermometer in the water, figuring that the water temperature is about the same as the beer temperature.

When I buy a new one, I'll do as hb_99 suggests and use scotch tape.

Back