Anybody Own LG appliances?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fretman124

Reaction score
I Am getting ready to buy all new kitchen appliances. Anybody have any experience with LG products? I have the ability to buy them at wholesale prices and can save a substantial amount, but would rather buy quality than save money and buy problems.

Any help here?

Thanks

I don't know about their kitchen appliences, but I have an LG phone, TV, and surround sound system and have no problems with any of them. That probably isn't all that useful to you though.

Rick91981 said:
I don't know about their kitchen appliences, but I have an LG phone, TV, and surround sound system and have no problems with any of them. That probably isn't all that useful to you though.
That would be great info if I was buying a phone, TV and surround system. But I'm buying kitchen appliances. So....thanks anyway.;)

I don't own any LG appliances at all, but I was talking to an appliance repairman one time and he said that LG and some of the other newer brands are really good until they break. When they do break they are expensive to fix because they have so many non standard components.

I have an LG refrigerator. No moving parts to go bad. In the past, I had a LG refrigeration unit. It saved money over electricity. If it cools or heats, LG should be more efficient than electric. Problem is whether you have personnell familiar to install and service. That can be a problem. LG is more associated with RV and automotive maintenance technologies.

Genghis77 said:
I have an LG refrigerator. No moving parts to go bad. In the past, I had a LG refrigeration unit. It saved money over electricity. If it cools or heats, LG should be more efficient than electric. Problem is whether you have personnell familiar to install and service. That can be a problem. LG is more associated with RV and automotive maintenance technologies.

"LG" is a brand name... Korean company, I believe ;)

We looked at LG when we bought new appliances a few years ago, but they were too new to the market to have any history. Everything that we read seemed to indicate they were fine, quality-wise, but there wasn't a lot of hard data to go on. So, we bought Kenmore and haven't had problems - although I know Kenmore's reputation has been going in the crapper lately.

the_bird said:
We looked at LG when we bought new appliances a few years ago, but they were too new to the market to have any history. Everything that we read seemed to indicate they were fine, quality-wise, but there wasn't a lot of hard data to go on.

And therein lies the problem. Consumer Reports rates them pretty high, but has no reliability data. Plus they only have a few models (mostly top of the line) rated as well.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll probably go with all LG for the big three cause I can get a great deal on them.

Personally, if I were getting them for wholesale prices, I'd probably go ahead and buy them. It's not always the case, but if they seem to be made well and there aren't a ton of problems that have cropped up in the first four years they've been on the market, I would think it's likely that they'll be OK. I *hate* extended warranties, but I might be temped (if it's available to you) to at least buy one on the fridge, since that always seems to be the appliance that dies first.

I have heard that LG was a contract manufacturer for another top-shelf appliance company (whirlpool maybe). They then just took that design and started branding it themselves. I can't remember where I heard this nor can I vouch for its veracity, but it kind of made sense at the time.

LG and Philips/Whirlpool are very closely tied - the TVs from LG are rebranded Philips if I'm not mistaken.
edit:maybe best withdraw that last comment now, just in case it's traced to me........

We bought a pair of their top of the line washers and couldn't be happier. We don't buy anything but LG anymore.

Dan

Ditto the wholesale thing. LG seems like the Kia of appliances. I bought a Goldstar air conditioner with remote in 2000 and it rocks-still flawless.

Ya gotta love the TV in the door of the fridge!

Back