Getting rid of banana off-flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hatesfury

Reaction score
So my first batch is in bottles. I popped the top on one last night to see how things are progressing... My stout REEKS of banana's, and tastes of it.... and i AM NOT a fan of banana's. Is there anything i can do to get rid of the banana?

Thanks in advance.

what beer you trying for, what yeast, what ferment temp? nothing you can do to get rid of flavors, except wait

Sounds like a hot fermentation given the yeast. Let us know the details, and we can likely help for the next batch. Unfortunately, there is probably little you can do for this one except wait to see if it dissipates.

Higher fermentation temperatures create esters/fruity flavors if not wanted... (often really wanted in belgians or bavarian hefeweizens...) aging will mellow them, but try to ensure a cooler ferment next time.

Ya it's my first brew. Hopped LME kit. S04 yeast. It stayed at 75 the first 3-4 days even tho the room was 68-70 the whole time. Have to find somewhere cooler to sit the next batch.

Aging will mellow but not eliminate the banana.... that makes me very sad.

Invest in a wort chiller for your next batch, it will help get your temperatures down for the growth phase of the fermentation, which is when many of those esters are produced if yeast is pitched onto wort that is too hot. You can make one for like $50. Google it, its easy.

Back