Turkey fryer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacktar

Reaction score
Is 7.5 gallons big enough for AG? These babies are on sale. 58000 BTUs.

Yep, so long as you're not doing ridiculously high gravity BIAB sessions, 7.5 will be fine for a 6-6.5 gal boil. Just keep an eye on it for boil overs. Internet sale or local?

It gets really close to the top. Use foam control and watch like a hawk. I used to keep a spray bottle of water handy to help prevent boilovers. After about 10-15 minutes, you've usually boiled off enough to relax a bit.

It gets really close to the top. Use foam control and watch like a hawk. I used to keep a spray bottle of water handy to help prevent boilovers. After about 10-15 minutes, you've usually boiled off enough to relax a bit.

I have a 7.5 gal kettle and I have to watch it veeeery closely for boil overs. I just might try that spray bottle trick.

+1 I have used, and sometimes still do, my turkey fryer setup. Either watch it close for boil-overs, or add some foam control (can buy at online LHBS, or buy baby gas drops at the store).

I think it's a great way to get started in AG. Eventually you might want to spend the $$ on a larger pot.

i jumped right into AG with a 7.5 gal pot. works fine like others have said a spray bottle is your friend for boil overs. we've been within an inch of the top and still been able to keep the foam at bay with a spray bottle.

Definitely turkey fryer, since I started using baby gas drops I no longer need to keep my spray bottle close by.

I wish I could find some without flavoring. I should just order some fermcap.

That said, I did 6.5 gallons in a 7.5 TF pot last weekend. I had no danger of boilover with a fan blowing over the surface. Great tip I picked up.

I use a turkey fryer setup on my stove between two burners it works great. Set one burner almost all the way down and it will hold 155 forever!

I have a 7.5 as well and use spray bottle/control the gas method for boil-over control. I never thought of using a fan - that's interesting!

I'd say 6.5 gallons is the most i could ever boil in my pot.

If you BIAB, you won't be able to do full volume for 5 gallon batch unless you batch sparge in another vessle.

I use the turkey fryer set up to BIAB and have been able to do a 5 gallon batch with 10 - 11 pounds of grain max. And that is only possible by having around 2 gallons of water in a separate pot for dunk-sparging, then adding after 30 minutes of boil time to make room in the pot. PIA, but it works!

I use the turkey fryer set up to BIAB and have been able to do a 5 gallon batch with 10 - 11 pounds of grain max. And that is only possible by having around 2 gallons of water in a separate pot for dunk-sparging, then adding after 30 minutes of boil time to make room in the pot. PIA, but it works!

That is pretty much exactly what I've been doing. cheers! :mug:

I wish I could find some without flavoring. I should just order some fermcap.

That said, I did 6.5 gallons in a 7.5 TF pot last weekend. I had no danger of boilover with a fan blowing over the surface. Great tip I picked up.

I think I got mine at Walmart. Pretty sure it's flavorless.

Just to clarify... turkey fryer pots are aluminum? is that okay for doing everything (AG, BIAB, Extract) in? Very new here and looking to get some more equipment, not sure if I need to spring for SS kettle that will be twice the cost of the turkey-fryer setup w/o even having the burner!

Boil a full pot of water for 30 minutes or so. This will oxidize the aluminum and create a good barrier. People use aluminum pots for all aspects of brewing. No worries. If you want more specifics on brewing with aluminum, there are plenty of threads that will come up in the search tool.

Boil a full pot of water for 30 minutes or so. This will oxidize the aluminum and create a good barrier. People use aluminum pots for all aspects of brewing. No worries. If you want more specifics on brewing with aluminum, there are plenty of threads that will come up in the search tool.

Thank you! I will get on it

Having a small fan in the vicinity is a good thing too. If it looks like it's going to boilover, aim the fan right at it. Spray bottle does pretty much the same thing, but the fan is just continuous

xjmox14x said:
Yep, so long as you're not doing ridiculously high gravity BIAB sessions, 7.5 will be fine for a 6-6.5 gal boil. Just keep an eye on it for boil overs. Internet sale or local?

Local sale.

Jacktar said:
Canadian Tire.

$55. Not a great sale, but I'd save about $15. Maybe I should go for the 9 gallon fryer for $80 down from $100. That might give me more versatility for future brewing.

I'm holding out till a few days after thanksgiving... I heard they always go on huge sales after, which makes sense.

i've used my 7.5 turkey pot all summer, it is pretty tight, but I use fermcap-s and just watch it closely. to be honest, i'm probably going to upgrade to a bigger pot soon, just so I can do some bigger beers.

$55. Not a great sale, but I'd save about $15. Maybe I should go for the 9 gallon fryer for $80 down from $100. That might give me more versatility for future brewing.

YES. After using the 7.5 gallon for nine months now, I would HIGHLY recommend getting the 9 gallon. It's worth the extra 25 bucks, trust me.

cwendel said:
Just to clarify... turkey fryer pots are aluminum? is that okay for doing everything (AG, BIAB, Extract) in? Very new here and looking to get some more equipment, not sure if I need to spring for SS kettle that will be twice the cost of the turkey-fryer setup w/o even having the burner!

Yes! There are a lot of us who brew or started their brew hobby from an aluminum turkey fryer. If you have the boil capacity it doesn't matter what style you brew (AG, Extract, BIAB, whatever). You dont NEED to spring for an expensive SS kettle. But if that's what you want, more power to ya!

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Fermcap does the job, I highly recommend it as I used it for quite awhile. I think I have a picture in my gallery of a 7 or so gal boil in a 7.5 gallon aluminum pot. Eventually I upgraded to a 9 gallon SS pot.

Get the 9 gal. I started with a small turkey pot and it was a PITA not being able to leave it to go do other brew related things because of the fear of a boil over. The extra space will let you relax a little more.

And if you aren't in a hurry and want to save money, look for a burner/ pot combo at garage sales. I think I've been lucky but my gf's dad found me a 65K btu burner and new unopened turkey pot for $5, and a few weeks ago found a beautiful King Kooker with 7.5 gal pot for $3. He saw another one last week so they are out there.

I know what sale you are talking about. CanadianTire Turkey Fryer. Don't even get me started on that thing. I was seeing red over it two hours ago and that was before I saw the sale today. You are going to want to buy that as unfortunately it's the best thing going in Canada at that price (unless you want to spend endless hours trying to source something for $10 bucks less). Then you are going to want to rip the timer out and toss it in the trash (or since you are in Canada, recycle it). Read this tread for the instructions on how to safely take the safety timer out: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/turkey-fryer-burner-timer-interlock-mod-123043/

You can see my experience with it in post #29. Good luck.

shuckit said:
I know what sale you are talking about. CanadianTire Turkey Fryer. Don't even get me started on that thing. I was seeing red over it two hours ago and that was before I saw the sale today. You are going to want to buy that as unfortunately it's the best thing going in Canada at that price (unless you want to spend endless hours trying to source something for $10 bucks less). Then you are going to want to rip the timer out and toss it in the trash (or since you are in Canada, recycle it). Read this tread for the instructions on how to safely take the safety timer out: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/turkey-fryer-burner-timer-interlock-mod-123043/

You can see my experience with it in post #29. Good luck.

Actually, now that I notice the master chef brand name, I'm having second thoughts. My MC BBQ is total ****e. Mmmm...

Back