Ghetto Kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinJack

Reaction score
I have a stupid question and i just like to be laughed at, so i got 3 2.5 gallon formally distilled water kegs (box like structure, like the dispensers you put in your fridge but not plasctic they are alluminium) I know they only held distilled water for the sevral years they were used. They have your regular spigot like your avarage fridge water dispenser but they hold a massive ammount of pressure, you fill them by a input port in the back which has a double o-ring threaded plug in it and i used a air compresser and put them to 60psi and they stayed that way until i let the air out the spigots...

my question is simple, can i drop the required number of priming tabs in one of these things and seal it up tight, let it carb up regular and get somthing akin to draft beer? or could i hook one up to a CO2 cylinder and carb that way? you know kind like a ghetto kegging system... keg and tap in one with out the need for a tap... just need a second minifridge to hold the three of them... and a few more beer glasses of course???

And just because i like ridicul, what about those plastic fridge kegs? you know the 1-3 gallon things which you put tap water in? i used the air compressor the other day to take one up to 25 psi and it didnt leak out... could you possiably use priming tabs in one of those and carb your beer in it then dispense??? I know it will bloat and look funny?? I am planning on trying it anyway and i already guess it wont work... but does anybody have any major objections...

im cheap, and im poor... i already have a tap but that setup is set in stone... i would have to buy a kegging setup to be able to hook my own brew into it, and if i could "keg" my brew either of these two ways i would save on bottles and it would basically render my tap obsoleat... which is good because the thing is an antique, and it really shouldnt be used...Think old glass and porcline soda fountian tap from the fifties... thing that makes it not worth much is that its missing the orginal Double O Soda Water Handle.... which would have made it worth more then my apartment... but instead i got the whole setup at a town rummage sale for 5 bucks...

So this is really just to get laughed at and to see if anybody has any real issues why i cant use either of these methods for searveing beer, or draft cider

Cheers:mug:

The wooden things I would say go for it. I have been meaning to try that with the water bottle but never want to risk the beer.

Your plan for the aluminum water boxes would work but realize that your level of carbonation will change based on the pressure in the container. If you can't figure out a way to keep constant pressure on the beer you'll find that it will slowly go flat as the pressure equalizes between the liquid and the air space.

Also, unless you let air (O2) into the container you'll find that the pour will slow until you create an equal pressure situation and the beer will stop flowing out the spigot.

Otherwise, you've got a cask ale setup on your hands. I'd love a 2 gallon cask in the fridge. Very interesting to see how beer changes based on oxidation and just breathing in the local air.

:mug:

Well when the next batch of brew is done it will be experimented upon for this ghetto kegging system... we shall see how it works... i will post pics when i have them... i need a week or two yet... yup and i have always wanted to be able to get a cask like setup going and that was why i bought the alluminmum water jugs when i saw them... they were about 22 bucks a piece originally but i bought them used from a nursing home which used to keep distilled water in them because may patrons of theres used to drink distilled water in the dinning room... the eventually got a water distiller and didnt need them anymore... so i offered to buy them and only paided 40 dallors for all three.

Cheers

Back