K-Sorbate before pitching...help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrhammonds

Reaction score
Okay,
So, I got 5 gallons of pressed apples from a local orchard. I added some honey and brown sugar, and a dormant strain of Burton Ale yeast. Airlock activity began after 24 hours--now it is the 4th day and the the krausen is still very small, and the airlock bubbles once every 30 seconds. After re-checking the cider containers, I noticed that it stated on the label that there were small traces of K-sorbate as a preservative. Is there anything I can do to redeem this? I don't mind waiting, do you think that the yeasties will fight against this eventually? Suggestions?

Okay,
So, I got 5 gallons of pressed apples from a local orchard. I added some honey and brown sugar, and a dormant strain of Burton Ale yeast. Airlock activity began after 24 hours--now it is the 4th day and the the krausen is still very small, and the airlock bubbles once every 30 seconds. After re-checking the cider containers, I noticed that it stated on the label that there were small traces of K-sorbate as a preservative. Is there anything I can do to redeem this? I don't mind waiting, do you think that the yeasties will fight against this eventually? Suggestions?

I think that if the sorbate was going to interfere, it would have inhibited fermentation to begin with. Since you've had fermentation, that means the yeast have reproduced and overcome the sorbate.

I never get much of a krausen with ciders so having a small one doesn't mean a thing. Wait another week or two, and it should be finishing up. After that it should start to clear. If you're really concerned, you could check the SG of the cider and then compare it to another reading in a few days.

Back