The $49 Kindle Fire.....good for Brew Day??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm debating on whether to buy a Kindle Fire or not. I like the $49 price, so it has gotten me thinking if this is something that could replace my laptop/phone on brew day and when streaming music.

I guess the simple question would be what brewing apps do Kindle Fires support? I use Brewzor mostly when I'm brewing and I do fiddle a bit with Beersmith on my laptop. I do not have a mobile version of Beersmith on my phone, but would look to add it if a Fire supports it.

The main thing I'm looking at is replacing my phone and something more dedicated to being my brewing "assistant". For those who have them and use them for brewing, what apps are you liking best?

Thanks.

I imagine it's a bit late for my $0.02 to be useful, but maybe for someone down the road it might help...

I use Beersmith on my Kindle all the time. I use it for recipe formulation and also on brew day for tracking stuff. That said I do do quite a bit of calculations by pen and paper also. Aside from Beersmith I don't use other brewing specific applications because Brewsmith is pretty complete in what it does. I used Evernote for gathering brewing articles and recipe ideas, but with their new policy changes I've been looking for an alternative.

I imagine it's a bit late for my $0.02 to be useful, but maybe for someone down the road it might help...

I use Beersmith on my Kindle all the time. I use it for recipe formulation and also on brew day for tracking stuff. That said I do do quite a bit of calculations by pen and paper also. Aside from Beersmith I don't use other brewing specific applications because Brewsmith is pretty complete in what it does. I used Evernote for gathering brewing articles and recipe ideas, but with their new policy changes I've been looking for an alternative.

Thanks for the reply.

I gave it a try. Over time, I just didn't like the kindle. Instead of sending it back, I just gave mine to my wife to replace her older one.

I think the Android tablets are going to be a better option for me. They are a bit more expensive, so it's a matter of diminishing returns. For the same amount of money, I'm probably better off getting a second burner, DIY mill cart, or putting that to other areas of my brewery. Still researching that.

Thanks for the reply.

[...]
I think the Android tablets are going to be a better option for me. They are a bit more expensive, so it's a matter of diminishing returns. [...]

FYI, some of the Kindle devices (maybe all) are android devices. Some (or all) can be made less annoying by "rooting" the device and installing a better version of android.

Back