Fermenting a German Altbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmorter1

jmorter1
Reaction score
I want to brew a nice session beer this weekend for an upcoming NFL fantasy draft party. When I lived in Dusseldorf I was a huge of fan of the classic Altbier and figured this would be the best candidate. My only problem is that I have now way of controlling the fermentation at lower temperatures. I was wondering if anybody had any tips on how to maintain around 60-65* F. I've done the coldwater bath with a t-shirt around the carboy wicking up water. Would this work with some frozen 2L bottles in the water? Thanks in adavance for the help.
:mug:

I do my lagers in the fridge, but not my hybrids.

My basement is around 70 degrees ambient. For the hybrids like altbier, I put the fermenter in a tub of water, put in 2-3 frozen Gatorade bottles per day and cover with a large blanket for a little extra insulation. Does a good job of maintaining 60-62 degrees for the first few days of fermentation when I'm trying to avoid high ester formation. I've done it for so long that I have the system down, and don't bother using my fridge.

Latest posts

Back