Insight on local brewing culture?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurbineTech85

Reaction score
I'm writing a paper for my American Studies class about brewing beer and it's significance in the regional culture of PA or the mid-Atlantic. Having trouble getting this thing off the ground. I am a novice homebrewer, along with my dad and my brother. I guess what I'm trying to find out is - how is home brewing or brewing in general significant to our area's culture, both past and present? There has to be something here considering we have the oldest brewery in the nation. I must not be looking in the right place because I'm not finding anything about PA specific brewing culture or brewing history. Any insight or a nudge in the right direction would be great. Thanks!

It's an interesting question. Have you read Gregg Smith's Beer in America: The Early Years? There might be something in there. You could also try to contact Yuengling to see if they have any archives you could go through. You could also local newspaper archives for references to Yuengling as well -- they are the primary employer of that area, so they clearly have a significant cultural impact.

The AHA might have some data regarding the growth of homebrew clubs & stores in PA. Then you could possibly contact some members of those clubs -- particularly the older clubs -- for interviews regarding the growth and spread of homebrewing.

I'm not sure when they are doing it again, but Pennsbury Manor has a guy come out and brew the way they did back in the Colonial times. I think they do it like once a month. I never went, but I heard it's pretty cool and very informative about beer and brewing back in the early days of the country.

go find stuff by rich wagner. He's the local beer historian (to philly anyway). Will show you how the city grew up.

Back