Is going all grain worth it ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something like this:

Heat mash water/get rest of equipment out 30'
Mash/heat sparge water 60'
Drain mash/single batch sparge 20'
Bring to boil 20'
Boil 60'
Immersion chiller cool/ wash other equipment with IC outflow water 20-30'
Drain to carboy with venturi aerating tube 1'
Pitch 1'

Cheater, you have to count the worst part cleaning equipment.

if it took me consistently more than 3.5 hours to brew I wouldn't do AG. wow 6 hours?

my brew day:
30 min to heat 15 gal h20
40 min mash/recirc/sparge 20min mash, 5-10min recirc/sparge
20min bring to boil
60min boil
15min chill direct to fermenter
10 sec pitch yeast
20-30 min clean and put away

these times are for a 10 gal batch and winter times. summer goes faster due to faster time to heat.

all grain brewing motto: Cheaper, faster, more customization!

If I take your maximums:
40 min mash/recirc/sparge
20min mash
10min recirc/sparge
20min bring to boil
60min boil
10 sec pitch yeast
30 min clean and put away

I get 3.75 hours, which is about what you estimated. But, what about setup time? Add in 30 minutes to get out the pots/mash tun/etc., the burner, the ingredients, miscellaneous equipment (stirring spoons, etc.), and fill the pot with water. Add in another 5-10 minutes for taking samples and reading the hydrometer, making notes, etc. (Buy you might get these done during the boil, chill, etc.)

So, now you're up to 4.25 hours counting in the setup time. Still pretty quick, though.

Something like this:

Heat mash water/get rest of equipment out 30'
Mash/heat sparge water 60'
Drain mash/single batch sparge 20'
Bring to boil 20'
Boil 60'
Immersion chiller cool/ wash other equipment with IC outflow water 20-30'
Drain to carboy with venturi aerating tube 1'
Pitch 1'

How big is the ball valve on your kettle that you can drain it in 1 minute? I have a Blichmann with a half-inch valve. There's no way I could drain it in a minute. It usually takes more like 5+minutes. Also, you must not do water adjustments at all?

I think, to the point of this thread, AG takes longer. Pure extract is the quickest, and PM and steeping fall between extract and AG.

4.5 hours with Brew in a bag. That includes grain crushing, setup, and cleanup. If it was just heating/mashing/brewing/pitching it would be about 3.5 hrs.

If I take your maximums:
20min mash
10min recirc/sparge
20min bring to boil
60min boil
10 sec pitch yeast

I get 3.75 hours, which is about what you estimated. But, what about setup time? Add in 30 minutes to get out the pots/mash tun/etc., the burner, the ingredients, miscellaneous equipment (stirring spoons, etc.), and fill the pot with water. Add in another 5-10 minutes for taking samples and reading the hydrometer, making notes, etc. (Buy you might get these done during the boil, chill, etc.)

So, now you're up to 4.25 hours counting in the setup time. Still pretty quick, though.

EDIT: I see you were responding to another post. My bad. Point still stands.

I take the pot and burner from the garage to the back patio. Takes about 2 seconds. Yeah there is a pot filling in there. So add 5' for that. But the rest of the equipment I get out during the mash water heating. I do almost all of the cleaning of equipment outside of the brewpot itself during the immersion cooling.

How big is the ball valve on your kettle that you can drain it in 1 minute? I have a Blichmann with a half-inch valve. There's no way I could drain it in a minute. It usually takes more like 5+minutes. Also, you must not do water adjustments at all?

I have this one. Maybe 2 minutes? It's fast as heck. Only thing I have on there is a 90 degree street elbow pick up tube. Water adjustments I am going to start doing now, but what does that add? Weigh calcium chloride, dump in strike water?

I have this one. Maybe 2 minutes? It's fast as heck. Only thing I have on there is a 90 degree street elbow pick up tube. Water adjustments I am going to start doing now, but what does that add? Weigh calcium chloride, dump in strike water?

That valve looks like a half inch valve. I suppose it could be faster if you're using a hose to help with the siphon pressure.

As far as water adjustments, if you're only going to add some minerals and not using acid to adjust pH, then it won't take long. Plus, unless you're always going to add the same mineral adjustments you'll have to take time, at least the first time you brew the beer, to figure out what adjustments to make. Also, if you're not taking the time to measure the resulting pH, it won't take long (EDIT: I suppose the pH testing is done during the mash, but I also have other things to do in that time.).

That valve looks like a half inch valve. I suppose it could be faster if you're using a hose to help with the siphon pressure.

As far as water adjustments, if you're only going to add some minerals and not using acid to adjust pH, then it won't take long. Plus, unless you're always going to add the same mineral adjustments you'll have to take time, at least the first time you brew the beer, to figure out what adjustments to make. Also, if you're not taking the time to measure the resulting pH, it won't take long (EDIT: I suppose the pH testing is done during the mash, but I also have other things to do in that time.).

EDIT: Also, you must not do yeast starters or just direct pitch dry yeast?

Yeah the hose helps a lot. Regardless, my individual times might be off slightly, but I know the total time is correct because SWMBO would harass me more if I went over time. ;)

Yeah the hose helps a lot. Regardless, my individual times might be off slightly, but I know the total time is correct because SWMBO would harass me more if I went over time. ;)

What about mixing up sanitizer? Do you crush your grains during that 30 minutes of strike water heating? What about the time it takes to dough in? I'm just looking for ways that I can speed up my brew day. Obviously it's going to take me a bit longer since I have to setup my pump/plater chiller, and I don't have a stand or anything.

What about mixing up sanitizer? Do you crush your grains during that 30 minutes of strike water heating? What about the time it takes to dough in? I'm just looking for ways that I can speed up my brew day. Obviously it's going to take me a bit longer since I have to setup my pump/plater chiller, and I don't have a stand or anything.

I keep prepared sanitizer in the garage all the time. I get my grains crushed at the LHBS (though I might be changing that soon). It takes about 5' to dough in. It's mostly just multitasking as much as possible. I work in a lab, so my whole day revolves around doing 28 things at once.

If I take your maximums:
20min mash
10min recirc/sparge

20min bring to boil
60min boil
10 sec pitch yeast

so you doubled my mash/sparge recirc time... As far as set up is concerned... I have a single tier system it takes less than a min to wheel it out and turn on the water and propane. As far as the rest is concerned I do any prep/setup, cleaning, sanitation, taking readings takes 2 sec, notes while waiting (so can't add time that is already taken by other processes.

as far as the folks that ask if I time myself, I do. I schedule my days pretty thoroughly. especially on weekends I have little time to waste.

to address the folks that speeding the process causes inconsistent results? I'm getting a consistent 80-83% efficiency. not sure how those numbers are inconsistent or poor. I'm not here to defend my process... I just want to promote the fact that you can have a time and quality efficient all grain brewing process. Not much standing around and drinking going on during my brew day though. :tank:

I've only done 1 extract and the rest all grain but I enjoyed all grain a lot more. my brew days are around 6 hours or so but me and a buddy brew together so on the down time we bs and drink. When it comes time to chill the wort we don't have a hose so no wort chiller ( crappy college town rowhouse). We walk to one of the bars that's about 200 ft away either direction then come back to pitch the yeast. Good times all around

I found my ag beers have been better BUT thats mostly because:

1. I became much more interested and aware of everything that goes into a brew and begain taking more care in many areas of brewing when I went AG.

2. Much more experience when I finally got to AG.

I also feel like I have a bigger field of things I can expirement with in AG, which I enjoy. I'd say its worth it.

AG definitely takes longer than extract. There's no argument on that point. Thing is you can't build complex worts with grain steeps and extract. It doesn't mean you can't make great beer, but not, wait for it ..."legendary" beer.

In my experience it was well worth it and not that expensive to get started. The jump from extract to partial mash made a huge difference in the quality of my beer and really only cost me a few bucks to buy and convert a 2 gallon cooler to a mini mash tun. The next step to all grain I bought a 5 gal cooler at a yard sale, used the parts from my mini mash tun and bought a craigslist turkey fryer for $40. The biggest expense was a $50 wort chiller. The quality increase from partial to full grain is marginal and subjective but I like the control I have and the extra time is part of the charm, it's my me time. Plus I save a ton of money buying grain for several batches at a time and reusing yeast. I more than made up for the lost time buy going to kegs and saving the bottling time. But thats another, much more expensive story.

If you'll enjoy it yes.

You can buy a box of cookies and eat them. 1 piece of equipment, minimal storage, tastes great. You can buy premade cookie dough. A little more involved, you have to store it and you have to have an oven, cookie sheet, etc.
You bake 'em, they're fresh, satisfying. Or you can make your own cookie dough. More time and equipment involved but you control the recipe and get the satisfaction that you made the cookies from scratch.

Same thing with beer.
You can buy a six pack and drink it. You can get the extract and a few pieces of equipment and involve some time and make your own. Or you can do AG and get involved with the whole process.

Wether or not it's worth it depends on you.

If you'll enjoy it yes.

You can buy a box of cookies and eat them. 1 piece of equipment, minimal storage, tastes great. You can buy premade cookie dough. A little more involved, you have to store it and you have to have an oven, cookie sheet, etc.
You bake 'em, they're fresh, satisfying. Or you can make your own cookie dough. More time and equipment involved but you control the recipe and get the satisfaction that you made the cookies from scratch.

Same thing with beer.
You can buy a six pack and drink it. You can get the extract and a few pieces of equipment and involve some time and make your own. Or you can do AG and get involved with the whole process.

Wether or not it's worth it depends on you.

......................................................................sorry, I am distracted by your avatar.......are you a 16 year old softball player? you missed some buttons.

Latest posts

Back