What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kegged a milk stout.

IMG_1182.jpg

Cut open my keg, going to finish makin my weld in bungs tomorrow morning and weld them in tomorrow afternoon. It's nice working in a machine shop. If all the laths were not tied up we would have just cut into the top for a perfect hole but no biggie to me I got it pretty close by DIY grinder

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389134902.190587.jpg

I bought a 50 gal tote for use as a swamp cooler. Also got my bottle tree and stout kit in the mail.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

I finished building my cooler mash tun and did a test boil in my new-to-me 10 gallon pot. I hope I'll get a batch done this weekend.

Boiling some jars right now so that I can wash some yeast this weekend.

Very carefully drilled a hole in the side of the fridge to feed the Co2 thru. Tank is out of the fridge. Room for more beer!

Picked up two 6.5Gal glass carboys today. Still in their cardboard shipping boxes.

" two six and 1/2gallon glass wine making containers - $50 (vandalia)
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
i have two six and 1/2 gallon glass containers for making beer or wine for sale.paid $40 each at belmont party supply last year.will sell both for $50.will not separate.very good deal for anyone into making homebrew or wine. thanks,danny "

Thank You! Danny,:)
'da Kid

The10mmKid said:
Picked up two 6.5Gal glass carboys today. Still in their cardboard shipping boxes.

" two six and 1/2gallon glass wine making containers - $50 (vandalia)
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
i have two six and 1/2 gallon glass containers for making beer or wine for sale.paid $40 each at belmont party supply last year.will sell both for $50.will not separate.very good deal for anyone into making homebrew or wine. thanks,danny "

Thanks Danny,:)
'da Kid

Nice find! I was lookin at picking up another carboy (5gal) and the lhbs wants 38$ i passed this time. Maybe next time.

Just checked on my two lagers in Primary. One has quieted down after 2 weeks, and the other is starting to slow after one week. These are at 50-54 degrees.

Transferred my Caramel Dunkel into a secondary for a day of cold crashing before transferring to my keg, tastes good and attenuated 4 pts past my target, washed the yeast, getting ready to pour some black ( caramel Dunkel or my Stout) and gold (Biere de Boucher) beer for Saturday baby, Who Dat!

I got a good story for y'all! The tow truck driver got po'd about my lowered tuner bein' a pita to hook up & left. So the mechanic/stock car guy I've known for some 20 years came over to the house to fix my alternator belt on my Probe SE in the driveway! Dan always was a good guy,but this was a nice surprise! Car is on the charger now. It was worth $120 to get the car fixed where it lay. So tomorrow I can get some craft beer stuff & run around a bit. All because of a church goin good sameritan. He even prayed with me over my back not allowing me to get in his truck to get the cash to pay him. Says he can fix the ZX-2 as well. So if you need a guy that's good at balancing things & tweaking,go to Automotive Research in Sheffield Lake. He's good with cars.

Racked my black IPA the other day. Need to finish up one of my kegs, so I can dry hop it and get it kegged.

Dry hopping with Austrailan Topaz and Stella. Pretty excited to see how it turns out

Made some weld in bungs, drilled, faced, bored, chamfered, and tapped to 1/2" pipe tap on both ends. And a pic of the keggle waiting to get welded

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389303612.297900.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1389303628.145417.jpg

Finished a keg, of a pale ale mosaic smash, and am now cleaning it out. Still so hoppy smelling, its great.

Transfered my 26 stitch ipa to secondary and dry hopped took gravity reading and got 1.004 and sampled it and it taste great can't wait for this one I be ready to drink

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389325060.908490.jpg

Transferred my IPA and saison to secondary, dry hopped them both. Washed the saison yeast and collected three jars and three vials. Now I'm debating what to make next weekend. I'm trying to decide between a stout and an IPA...

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Not the right thread really, but I've narrowed down my brew next week to either an IPA or a farmhouse IPA (using 3711). What do people think i should do?

I went and bought a 1/2" in. low speed drill, from Harbor Freight, to run my new Monster Mill.

Busy day!

Got my new A419 controller set up and connected to the little heater. I put the heater inside my chiller, which is now turned off so it is just an insulated box. I have 3 gallons of cider in there, which I'll later turn into a Zombie Killer-like thing with honey and cherry juice. It's sitting at 60 in the 50ish degree basement.

I also got the ingredients for an oatmeal stout I'll make next weekend and did the starter with 1450. Had a misadventure because the 1450 yeast was some stuff I saved from an old batch. I had put it in beer bottles and, when I opened it up, it gushed like crazy. Like all over the walls crazy. Huge mess to clean up.

Anyway, I got nervous about the other two bottles of 1450, so I put on safety glasses and gloves and took them outside to open them up. One gushed a couple feet (seriously - like Champagne) and the other was fine, so that's the one I used in my starter. What a day.

Then I cut some circles out of foam, which I'll use as insulation on top of the mash in the 10 gallon mash tun I put together the other day. I have the same setup for my 5 gallon mash tun, and I know it works really well.

EDIT: AND I sat down and figured out the water additions for the oatmeal stout. I'm bushed. Time for a beer.

Kegged 5 gallons of BierMunchers Centennial Blonde and racked another 5 gallons onto 5lbs of strawberries.
It's funny, I'm not a fruit beer guy, just did it to see how it turns out.

I just pulled six fans out of two old computers. One is for making a stir plate and I'll probably use two or three of the others to build a fan for my ferm chamber.

That leaves at least two leftover for something.

Racked my porter to secondary over 4 oz bourbon that had wood chips and vanilla beans soaking for a couple weeks.

I did the same, but with 16oz bourbon, oak cubes instead of chips, and just one vanilla bean. The faint aroma coming through the airlock is really nice.

What a great, simple idea. I will steal this.

For the purposes of full disclosure, it wasn't my idea. Well, I thought of it independently, but found, after searching the interwebs, that it had already been done, so I can't claim it as my idea.

I made a starter for the beer I will be brewing tomorrow.

Enjoyed a (large) mug of Odeaux Brodeaux Amberish Ale that I kegged a week ago. Also, let several peeps in on the idea that there is much to learn about the ingredients, and how those ingredients are treated, that make a beer style taste different from others.... Cheers!

Made some bread from spent grains, should start cleaning things for tomorrow, but i think I'll relax right now. Have until 7 pm to finish brewing.

Spun some SS tubing on the lathe to clean up the scratches, clean up the end, and start turning a cap for the tubing. Gonna be a thermowell when I am done. I love it when I get stuff for free...

Back