My electric brewery build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suicided1954

Reaction score
I just wanted to show off all my hard work from this weekend. I was hoping to brew last weekend on this...maybe next weekend. I still have to build the electric keggles. (those are from my propane rig) I had to do the control box twice...after I got it built, it kept tripping the GFCI when I switched on the PID's. I had to run a seperate 120V to it and re-wire the whole stinkin thing...I haven't decided where to put the control box yet...and I need to paint the stand...
Thanks
Darryl

2010-03-07180808.jpg

2010-03-07180837.jpg

Nice set up. I see you got your HLT and BK ready for firing. I'm getting all of my components together for my electric conversion and hope to have it ready within a month. My only problem is trying to find a good schematic for wiring the control panel. I have 2 PID's and 2 40 amp SSR's for the elements. I have an idea how I want to connect it all but still need to see more schematics so that I'm convinced that I can wire it properly. If you don't have one can you or someone point me in the right direction?

I referred to CodeRage's "primer for brewers" thread. There is a schematic in it. Like I said I had to punt after the first run...and run in a seperate 120v. So, the schematic i drew up first is different. I have built several conveyor dryers for my screen printing operation so this was not anything new, just a different heating element and I don't have a GFCI on my dryers .

Thanks.

I believe I've already seen that post from Code Rage. I'll rescan it to make sure if I've missed anything.

Just ran my rig today. Started the boiling of water while finishing the control panel. Once I plugged it in I got the same thing popped GFCI. I will be asking questions tomorrow to see what I may have done wrong.

I have a 4 prong outlet at home, do you guys know how to convert a 4 prong outlet into 3? or just wire it up somehow to only use 3 wires, and not 4? Also is there any way to run a 120v pump off 220v, or convert it somehow?

I have a 4 prong outlet at home, do you guys know how to convert a 4 prong outlet into 3? or just wire it up somehow to only use 3 wires, and not 4? Also is there any way to run a 120v pump off 220v, or convert it somehow?

Your in luck, 4 prong means you have 240 and 120 and ground in your outlet. If you wire it correctly you should be able to run all your needs off the 4 prong outlet, provided you have enough amps.

My life would be a lot easier if there was a 4 prong outlet somewhere in my kitchen.

Its 35 amps, and i will be running 4500w element, and my pump which will be fine. I just dont know how to wire it up. To the pump would be Black White Green? and to the element Black Red combined going to Black on the element, White to White, and Green to ground? Good to know i got both, better just get a 4 wire cord then.

If you are running a 240VAC element, it will have 2 HOTS to the element terminals. Black to one, RED to the other... that is how you get 240VAC and not 120VAC

There is no neutral on it

I am a little bit confused by this, my element only has 2 prongs. Do i just hook up red and black and my ground to the element? what about the white? Sorry for the stupid questions. where my thoughts on hooking up the pump correct? I dont know too much about electrical.

If it is a 240VAC element, there are ONLY terminals for the HOTS. Red and Black. There is no neutral to the element, you need to figure a way to ground the element, but DO NOT place the ground on a HOT terminal.

Yes, a 120VAC pump will have HOT, NEUTRAL and GROUND

Very nice! Your going to need to get the steam out that window somehow. I keep seeing that the biggest problem in brewing indoors is the humidity in the room/house.

Very nice! Your going to need to get the steam out that window somehow. I keep seeing that the biggest problem in brewing indoors is the humidity in the room/house.

I have a couple of fans...one of which moves some serious air.

I am also thinking of an overhead exhaust fan, but those things are pricey and I am already in enough debt with SWMBO for turning her upstairs spare bedroom into a brewery... but I'm out of her kitchen.

I have enough duct work to run the exhaust fan, and for that matter I have an extra attic fan but it is big and ugly...

Do you think if I had the fan in the attic and fabbed up a hood that it could suck the steam out?

Do you think if I had the fan in the attic and fabbed up a hood that it could suck the steam out?

Unless it goes straight through the attic to the outside DON'T STEAM THE ATTIC! That will cause big problems.
Best would be a hood right over the kettle and out the window. You'll probably need an intake of air from another source, another window maybe. Try the fans out but open another window in another room to really move the air out of there.

I am a little bit confused by this, my element only has 2 prongs. Do i just hook up red and black and my ground to the element? what about the white? Sorry for the stupid questions. where my thoughts on hooking up the pump correct? I dont know too much about electrical.

Do you have a GFCI? You will need one. If not get a spa panel. It will have a 240v GFCI in it. You can use the panel to add 120V GFCI for the other needs. pumps PIDs, etc.

Do you have a GFCI? You will need one. If not get a spa panel. It will have a 240v GFCI in it. You can use the panel to add 120V GFCI for the other needs. pumps PIDs, etc.

I bought this at HD: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5/R-100686230/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-

it comes off my 100amp service panel that's in my shop. It's to power the brew rig. Or you can try and find a 50amp GFCI breaker that goes directly to your main panel. I hope this help is not too off topic.

Your going to need to get the steam out that window somehow.
On another thread, I was basically told that the amount of water put out during a brew session wasn't enough to really worry about.
Still not sure I agree, but just throwing that out there...

Suicided,
Control Panel looks good. Can you take some pictures of the inside of it? Where in TX are you? I'm looking at upgrading my system to electric in the coming weeks.

I dont have a GFI at home. Do i really need one? I am not sure, but i think they are expensive.
I just started my wiring, and am confused. I have my 240 4 prong plug coming into my box, from that i have the red and black going to my SSR then a single black coming off the ssr to the heater coil. the white and green are are just hooked up to the white and green wires coming in, is this correct??

Back