More StarSan ?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichN

Reaction score
:confused:How long can you store StarSan? I made up 1 1/2 gal and was wondering if I could store in glass bottle? If so how long? I heard you can use in spray bottle. If so how long can it stay in there? Do you just spray it onand let it dry? :confused:

If you used distilled water to mix up your starsan then it can keep quite a few months in a sealed container, like a spray bottle or even in a carboy.

If you used tap water, and it was clear when you mixed it, then you can use it til it turns cloudy...usually only a couple days.

Starsan is a wet contact /no-rinse sanitizer, meaning if you let it dry you reduce the efficacy by 50%...It will sanitize what it comes in contact with, but if there's no wet barrier, then anything that comes into contact with the sanitized object will render it no longer sanitized.

Probably everything you want to know about sanitizing with starsan and iodophor can be found here, including a link to a great podcast on using starsan.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/

From what i have learned it is good until the pH reaches 3, and some people say it is good until it gets cloudy.

If you have a pH tester, or the strips take the pH of it. It should be at 3 or below to work properly.

I've heard people use it in a spray bottle so they dont wind up throwing it away.

Back