Question about refrigerator for possible kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berickso

Reaction score
My dad has an old GE fridge, model number TBX23ZGBR, that he wants to convert to a kegerator. He's bought everything he needs, including a Perlick faucet, but he has yet to cut the "hole." Given where the fridge sits in the basement, it would work out best to have the faucet mounted in the side of the fridge. I've looked on GE's website at the diagrams of the fridge parts (http://www.myapstore.com/Omega/Dispatcher?REQUEST=ACCESSORY) but I can't interpret them well enough to see if there are cooling lines in the wall.

Anyone smarter than me able to understand the diagrams, or better yet, someone with a GE 23z who has successfully drilled through the side wall?

Thanks, and happy beer-ing,
Brian

Most of the time the coolant lines run in the walls, leaving the doors free. Your link doesn't work for me, and my own Google'ing brought up a somewhat normal looking older fridge. There might be a space somewhere in a wall with no coolant line, but that's above my knowledge detecting.

If the fridge has a finned radiator on the back then it is most likely OK to drill the sides but just to be sure you can feel the sides when it has been running a while and if they get HOT then you can not drill in the sides, otherwise it should be OK to drill in the sides if the radiator (condenser) is on the back side. Unless the door has an ice and water fountain you can drill with no worry. Use a hole saw, they work better.

Sorry about the link not working. It seems finicky. If you go to http://products.geappliances.com/, then click on "Parts" it takes you to a page where you can enter a model number.

I really appreciate the help. Hopefully we can get this thing working without destroying the fridge!

Brian

Here are the pics in question, if this inspires anyone...

cabinetparts.jpg

unitparts.jpg

Latest posts

Back