Worried about my Alt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
Mentioned this same batch before, but I'm starting to get concerned. I know that it was likely pitched a bit too warm, as was the fermentation temp. But at bottling it tasted encouraging. A bit sweet with good malty taste (reminded me a bit of commercial Octoberfests that have been around lately). But it's been 3 weeks in the bottle and it has developed a real sweet, cotton-candy-ish flavor that someone noted could be an ester. I guess I was hoping that it would die down (tasting it at 2 weeks) from cold conditioning in the bottle, but it has mellowed only slightly.

If it hasn't changed much by now, is it likely that it won't get much better? I've heard that lagering alts is pretty common, and I'm willing to wait as long as necessary if it's going to come around, but it would be nice if there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

TexLaw said:
It's only been in the bottle for three weeks. It's still a baby. Give it time. Esters fade, but it takes quite a while.

TL

Thanks!-Do you think it's better to store it in the cold, or room temp?

BrewDey said:
Thanks!-Do you think it's better to store it in the cold, or room temp?
Are they completely carb'd?

If not, get them to 72 degrees until they are.

If they are...you can "cool" store them in a cellar or long term and chill them in a fridge for 1-2 weeks prior to serving. Doesn't really matter.

Iordz said:
What yeast did you use? What was the fermentation temp?

It was White Labs European Ale...there was a considerable lag time and it fermented at about 75-80 degrees F.

Alt's are traditionally cold lagered for at least a month.
FWIW, it's also my favorite traditional style, hence the avatar.

You ferment around 60F for two weeks, this is why I would recomend an Alt strain. Then lager for a month, or get it as cold as you can and hold it there for a month.

Back