Bottle conditioning brett beer with 2nd strain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNGabe

Reaction score
Input or experience on bottling a brett beer with a 2nd strain?

I've got a brett C beer that started at 1.060 and is stable at 1.012. Hopefully I'll have a few bottle isolate and commercial brett strains to be able to compare with a sugar primed version without additional yeast.

I'd worry about pitching a more agressive/attenuative Brett strain at bottling on a beer with that much residual gravity. Give it a shot, but keep a close eye on the carbonation level.

I'd worry about pitching a more agressive/attenuative Brett strain at bottling on a beer with that much residual gravity. Give it a shot, but keep a close eye on the carbonation level.

It wasn't quite done, I bottled with sugar and without additional yeast at 1.008.

An interview I was listening to suggested brett produces less CO2 from the same amount of sugar than sacc. Is this true in your experience?

An interview I was listening to suggested brett produces less CO2 from the same amount of sugar than sacc. Is this true in your experience?

If it was the Jeff O'Neil quote of Neva Parker, I ran it by her and it was not really what she way saying. Feremtnation produces the same amount of ethanol and CO2 from a given amount of fermentables regarless of whether it is Brett or Sacch.

"Jeff is sort of right. Usually Brett fermentations are much slower than Saccharomyces - so in that respect, there is about half the amount of CO2 for the same fermentation period. In the end, you'll wind up with similar amounts, but it will just take Brett longer to get there."

Back