" skeeter pee" experiment question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I have a couple of batches of skeeter pee that is ready to rack into a clean carboy to finish clearing. I have made a ton of this stuff as it gets gone quick around my friends. Anyway I am thinking about inverting the sugar and just putting sugar water ( with the nutrient and tannin etc) back over the lees from these batches then when it is done , adding the lemon juice to flavor it. I was wondering if any of you thought this would ease the stress on the yeast because of the acidity being gone.... or am I just wasting sugar and time? Oh yeah before anyone asks NO I have not sorbated and sulfited it yet.

I made my first batch of skeeter pee (with red wine lees) last year, and I have an new 12oz bottle of lees in the fridge. I never actually added any nutrient or tannins to my first batch. Just sugar, Real Lemon (r), and good old H20. Most of my friends laughed at the idea, until summer came around and I force carbonated it in a keg, then bottled it and took it around for those hot summer days. Next thing I knew, I had 2, or 48 bottles left. People are begging for more.

But, as far as your question is concerned, if your gonna pour the new "sugar water" on top of the primary yeast, I don't see why they wouldn't take off. Don't bother trying on the secondary yeast, as they've had their full and are most likely dead.

And why sorbate if you don't want something sweet?

I made my first batch of skeeter pee (with red wine lees) last year, and I have an new 12oz bottle of lees in the fridge. I never actually added any nutrient or tannins to my first batch. Just sugar, Real Lemon (r), and good old H20. Most of my friends laughed at the idea, until summer came around and I force carbonated it in a keg, then bottled it and took it around for those hot summer days. Next thing I knew, I had 2, or 48 bottles left. People are begging for more.

But, as far as your question is concerned, if your gonna pour the new "sugar water" on top of the primary yeast, I don't see why they wouldn't take off. Don't bother trying on the secondary yeast, as they've had their full and are most likely dead.

And why sorbate if you don't want something sweet?
I DO want it sweet. The recipe calls for back sweetening, and I bottle. To avoid bombs I have to sorbate it. I getting ready to invert the sugar( no idea why that is necessary at all but thats what it calls for) and will let you guys know if it takes off or not.

Mixed the sugar water and tannins etc and topped up to a little over 4.5 gallons ( adding the 3 bottles of lemon juice should then hit 5.5 gallons) within 15 minutes I had airlock activity.

fermentation is sluggish at best. one carboy is still at 1.020 and one is WAY higher than that. They went NUTS at first.

Dry yeast is soo cheap for me... it's not worth gambling on used Pee Yeast. It works really hard and can be pretty stressed. I re-used a batch and it went bad during fermentation, I didn't realize it till I had poured the next batch on top of it! Basically I had racked into the bottling bucket and dumped the next batch on the slurry I had just racked from. Then went about bottling the first batch. That's when I found it was bad.

Reaver said:
Dry yeast is soo cheap for me... it's not worth gambling on used Pee Yeast. It works really hard and can be pretty stressed. I re-used a batch and it went bad during fermentation, I didn't realize it till I had poured the next batch on top of it! Basically I had racked into the bottling bucket and dumped the next batch on the slurry I had just racked from. Then went about bottling the first batch. That's when I found it was bad.

Can you use fesh dry yeast to start a batch? I have one empty primary left! Wgat kind of yeast if so?

A few of us have been experimenting with DY (dry yeast) for a while now. All but 2 of my batches have been off Dry Yeast and I like it alot. Check out the post. The 2nd one should take you into that discussion a ways and there is a YouTube video someone did that I brought back to include. I used Redstar Montrachet the first few times and it cleared ALOT. My last batch was Cote de Blanc and it did not clear as well and took longer... I need to test another batch adn see if it was a fluke or from the Cote.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/skeeter-pee-starting-dry-yeast-212915/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/skeeter-pee-starting-dry-yeast-212915/index18.html#post3228367

Can you use fesh dry yeast to start a batch? I have one empty primary left! Wgat kind of yeast if so?

Usually I use the lees from other wines but the last batch I made was a double batch from dry yeasts.
EC-1118 and D47, side by side. Other than the extra DAP needed for the D47 carboy, they were otherwise identical.

Both were good but the D47 had a much fruitier bouquet and more pronounced lemon taste.

Back