Houston, TX Group Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For everyone interested, can you post approx how much grain you plan on purchasing so I can get an idea of the size of order.

Thanks

Which company are you going to buy from? The San Diego buy ran into problems because nobody will sell to homebrewers unless they already have an account. Just something to think about

Costs are working out to about $34 per 50 lbs, includes all shipping charges. This is just a base price for 2 row to give an idea of the costs.

Which company are you going to buy from? The San Diego buy ran into problems because nobody will sell to homebrewers unless they already have an account. Just something to think about

I have a couple of vendors that are willing to sell to homebrew bulk purchases. Minimum Order is one pallet, i.e. 40 sacks (2000 lbs). Prices are coming out to $30 per bag for 2 row Briess before tax (8.25% tax would put us at $32.5 if applicable) . Or $28 per bag for Canadian 2 Row before tax (8.25% tax would put us at $30 if applicable). This price INCLUDES shipping.

Out of curiosity, I quoted the two Houston Brew Stores (Keg Cowboy & Defalcos) and the best price I could get was from Keg Cowboy $1.00/lb plus sales tax. Nearly 2x the price of the bulk order option.

Brew it Yourself in the Woodlands offered me $41/sack plus sales tax for bulk purchases.
( $.82/lb in comparison to Keg Cowboy's $1.00/lb)

If we can't order the required minimum of 40 sacks, I think our best option would be to place a bulk order with Ray at Brew It Yourself.

Also, thought about looking into bulk hops from the same vendor. They've got some very good pricing, typically from $.45 to $.55 cents per ounce. Sold in T90 pellet form by the lb.
Houston Brew Stores are about 5x more than this averaging $2.50 to $3.00 an ounce.

Bottlecaps - Sold @ 10,000 increments for $112, so about a little over a penny apiece.
I mainly keg but maybe some people would be interested.

Thoughts from everyone????

Current Requests:

GRAIN:

joshaw50 - 2 bags
stevebuscemi - 3 bags
michaelpi - 4 bags
Tengallon - 2-3 bags
Regulation - 2 bags

HOPS:

Michaelpi - ??
rtrevino - ??
joshaw50 - 1 -2 lbs misc

CAPS:

Michaelpi

Id be in on some hops. Im in San Antonio but i may be able to arrange someone picking up in houston.

Bump.... Need to get more Houston area brewers together for bulk grain, bulk hops, bottle caps, ect.

Who's Interested and list what you're wanting to purchase with all quantities

Was thinking about starting one of these, then open up group buys and there it is at the top. I'd definitely buy 3 bags or so if we can get enough people. Not sure about the hops was contemplating a group buy from hopsdirect in the fall though since I will probably be buying several pounds anyway, though yours is probably cheaper.

I think for Hops we may be better to order in the fall with the new season approaching. But I'm definitely in need of some grain. I'll probably take a couple of bags myself. We need 40 sacks to do the grain buy so we've got some progress to make. I think I've had interest in around 10 so far. I'm surprised there hasn't been more interest considering the grain prices at the LBS nowadays. $0.60 shipped on the grain buy vs $1.15 to $1.40 in the LBS.

But I'm not sure if they'll let us throw a couple lbs of Hops in on the side for a few of us.
Never hurts to ask!

i would be interested but have to talk to the wife about the storage. I would be down for 1 bag and some hops (a lb of each of a few different kinds)

Would this be for 2 row only, or are other malts available as well? I'm about 2 hours away and would need 3 to 4 bags to justify the drive.

In for 2 sacks.

I could use some caps too, but I don't want to split an order of 10,000 only two ways. 2000 would be my limit.

Don't want this to die hopefully OP will see this and let us know. Haven't done a full count but think we should be close. Would still be in for 3-4 bags and maybe some caps.

UPDATED - SEE BELOW FOR UPDATED QUANTITIES

I have a couple of vendors that are willing to sell to homebrew bulk purchases. Minimum Order is one pallet, i.e. 40 sacks (2000 lbs). Prices are coming out to $30 per bag for 2 row Briess before tax (8.25% tax would put us at $32.5 if applicable) . Or $28 per bag for Canadian 2 Row before tax (8.25% tax would put us at $30 if applicable). This price INCLUDES shipping.

Out of curiosity, I quoted the two Houston Brew Stores (Keg Cowboy & Defalcos) and the best price I could get was from Keg Cowboy $1.00/lb plus sales tax. Nearly 2x the price of the bulk order option.

Brew it Yourself in the Woodlands offered me $41/sack plus sales tax for bulk purchases.
( $.82/lb in comparison to Keg Cowboy's $1.00/lb)

If we can't order the required minimum of 40 sacks, I think our best option would be to place a bulk order with Ray at Brew It Yourself.

Also, thought about looking into bulk hops from the same vendor. They've got some very good pricing, typically from $.45 to $.55 cents per ounce. Sold in T90 pellet form by the lb.
Houston Brew Stores are about 5x more than this averaging $2.50 to $3.00 an ounce.

Bottlecaps - Sold @ 10,000 increments for $112, so about a little over a penny apiece.
I mainly keg but maybe some people would be interested.

Current Requests - UPDATED as on 8/7/11:

GRAIN:

joshaw50 - 3 bags
stevebuscemi - 3 bags
soopagloo - 4 bags
Tengallon - 4 bags
Regulation - 2 bags
Vallensons - 6 bags 2 row
RCA - 2-3 bags
Kingwood kid - 3 bags
Javabrewer - 2 bags
senordodo - 2 bags

Total: 29 sacks

We need 11 more sacks!

HOPS:

Tengallon - 1-2 misc
joshaw50 - 1 -2 lbs misc
Vallensons - 1 lb cascade, 1 lb centennial
Javabrewer- 1 lb cascade, 1 lb centennial

CAPS:

Shows availability for Breiss MO for $.66 lb.
Of course, I'd have to call and find out when we place the actual order.

Are we allowed to mix different grains to get to 40 sacks, or is it minimum 40 for each type?

Latest posts

Back