Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A constellation from my beer Fight Club Ghandi.

Lalvin K1V-1116, a wine yeast, White Labs Brettanomyces Claussenii, Yeast Bay WLP4637 Amalgamation - Brett Super Blend.

10906352_10154142576539622_8768646179879489660_n.jpg

dsAtTq6.jpg

NIuqQeR.jpg

13sVxFA.jpg

LRvmTmr.jpg

ECY020. Took about 8 months to show up, and only after just taking a sample. I think the oxygen and time spent trying to overcome what may have been a too high alpha acid content is what did it. It is too coincidental for the little bit of oxygen from sampling not to have something to do with it kicking off. I was worried about aceto, but it does not smell of vinegar. It smells slightly sour now and the wort seems to have gotten slightly darker.

When did you add the peaches and in what manner? Love the pic and it looks like it's gonna be a good one

When did you add the peaches and in what manner? Love the pic and it looks like it's gonna be a good one

This beer was fermented with Roeselare and many dregs for one year. I added 10 pounds (2lbs. per gallon) of local, farm fresh peaches, sliced and pitted. It sat on the peaches for 3 months.

I brewed a 10gal batch of saison a little over a month ago that I split and fermented both with belgian saison yeast. They both finished at 1.004. One is now on 2 pounds of tart cherries and the other I pitched the Amalgamation blend from The Yeast Bay about a week ago. Already smelling awesome in the fermentation chamber and starting to get a little pellicle. Not nearly as beautiful as many of the others in this thread. This is my first attempt at a sour beer and I'm really excited. Sorry for the crappy pics.

20151218_133313.jpg

20151218_133353_1.jpg

20151218_133434.jpg

I brewed a 10gal batch of saison a little over a month ago that I split and fermented both with belgian saison yeast. They both finished at 1.004. One is now on 2 pounds of tart cherries and the other I pitched the Amalgamation blend from The Yeast Bay about a week ago. Already smelling awesome in the fermentation chamber and starting to get a little pellicle. Not nearly as beautiful as many of the others in this thread. This is my first attempt at a sour beer and I'm really excited. Sorry for the crappy pics.

It's what's inside that counts [emoji6]

Brewed an amber strong ale/old ale on Halloween with a friend. Split into three fermenters and put wine soaked whiskey barrel oak from two different wines into two of them and one is unoaked so we have a control version.

Wyeast 9097-PC Old Ale Blend started forming a pellicle a week or so ago and now is pretty decent. That's a little 15 liter fermenter. The over the top photo taken through that hole at top. Surprising pellicle for how young it is. It's sitting warm, though, around 24C. I have various Brett beers all over the house and this one is the youngest but has the most impressive pellicle. Never used that blend before, though. Curious. Intended to age another 3-6 months.

Here's the yeast:

https://www.wyeastlab.com/pc1q2009.cfm

Wyeast 9097-PC Old Ale Blend
Beer Styles: English Barleywine, English Strong Ale, Old Ale
Profile: To bring you a bit of English brewing heritage we developed the “Old Ale” blend, including an attenuative ale strain and a Brettanomyces strain, which will ferment well in dark worts and produce beers with nice fruitiness. Complex estery characters will emerge with age. Pie cherry and sourness will evolve from the Brettanomyces along with distinct horsey characteristics.

Alc. Tolerance 12%
Flocculation medium
Attenuation 75-80%
Temperature Range 68-75°F (20-24°C)

10300002_10154413387674622_690425495843991815_n.jpg

1353_10154413396064622_6161700331441731276_n.jpg

My first pellicle. Basically Rare Barrel golden base recipe, Wyeast 1968 primary and two pretty old vials of WLP665 (got for 2 bucks each due to age).

DSC_0078.jpg

I've always wondered what bug causes that specific wavy pellicle like mine have done several times. :goat: using the goat just because

This is my first pellicle and I used a collection of bottle dregs (3fonteinen, anchorage, crooked stave and more). So I haven't a clue what strain of Brett, LAB, or combination that caused it!

Yup, that's a fine globular cluster you got there. Buckets make fine sours nonetheless. I am enjoying my bucket sour from Mar '15 and it's great.

Yup, that's a fine globular cluster you got there. Buckets make fine sours nonetheless. I am enjoying my bucket sour from Mar '15 and it's great.

I used a bucket that a wine kit came in.

Wanted to make a Saison with all american ingredients.

Saison de Amérique

4 Gallon Recipe
5.75 lb 6 Row Barley
2 lb Unmalted Hard Red Winter wheat from my friends family farm
1 oz Midnight Wheat Malt

0.5 oz Belma Hops 60 Minutes
1 oz Belma Hops 1 Minute

WLP 670

OG 1.042
FG 1.002
5.25%

Let it ferment for 2 months before bottling.

Turned out pretty good for a first time experiment. The fruitiness of the hops or the yeast and the color of the beer make you think that there may have been a subtle addition of fruit to the beer.

IMG_4612.jpg

pzW2UFS.jpg

PHc31ej.jpg

dOVsLVe.jpg

It was hard to get a good picture through the glass, but it was pretty damned cool looking. This was after I racked onto some tart cherry concentrate. Soon there after either the yeast cleaned this up, the lack of oxygen caused the pellicle to be unnecessary, some combination of both, or something I have no idea of. A lot of what I have been reading seems to point to oxygen as the biggest reason for these bio films to form. The new muddy looking one was a new brew dumped on the old yeast and bug cake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of curiosity, which concentrate did you use? And how much per gallon? I have a Red that has been on Roeselare for about a year, and want to add some tart cherry here pretty quick. The concentrate seems like the way to go. I have been told 8oz concentrate to a gallon of this stuff would do the trick nicely:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OVMO5M/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

One that I paid WAY too much for. I was going to a friend's birthday party, and there was a health food store near by. I just grabbed it off the shelf and was hit with a $30 charge or something crazy like that. I thought I would save myself some money since I didn't have to ship a heavy liquid. Boy was I wrong! I have no idea what the brand was anymore since I wont be doing that again.

I used probably about 15 of the 16 oz. I put the rest in a seltzer and it was delicious. You are the second person to make me think I over did it. The other person used 16 oz in a stout, and it was too much. I am hoping that it makes more sense to use that much in a Kriek. I have read in some other places that 16oz should be good for 5 gallons. I have not opened the vessel to test it since, and with the large amount of headspace, I am not really too inclined to. Hopefully it tastes right. In hindsight, starting at 8oz might have been a better idea, but then I would have doubled the time before I bottle. I really want to get this in a bottle this spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
15 oz into how much volume wise? I was told that 8oz per gallon would impart really good cherry flavor, so around 40oz per 5 gallon batch. Seemed like a lot to me, hence my curiosity.

15 oz into how much volume wise? I was told that 8oz per gallon would impart really good cherry flavor, so around 40oz per 5 gallon batch. Seemed like a lot to me, hence my curiosity.

It was at least 15oz into 5 gallons. There was a definite color change, and from what I have heard from others, 15oz might even be a bit too much. I mean, it is a concentrate. It should be a lot stronger than just juice, and from the tiny bit that I put into a 12oz can of seltzer, it is potent. I put in an ounce or less.

16 ounces into 5 gallons would be like .3 ounces of concentrate in each 12 ounce serving of beer. From the back of your bottle they suggest using a whole ounce per serving for a full fledged cherry drink. I just want some cherry in my beer, so I think .3oz per serving instead could be the sweet spot. The label you have there also says that 1 ounce is equal to 80 cherries. That means one bottle is like 1280 cherries.

If you want to be safe order two. Just add a little at a time. The worst case scenario is that you have to make some cherry drinks because you didn't need it all. 40oz sounds like overkill for sure.

Back