Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TANSTAAFB said:
Have you ever TRIED a decent lambic/ sour? Why you lurkin' if you are so grossed out? I don't have the stones to risk contaminating my brewery yet, but this thread is f@#&ing epic :rockin:
I agree. Don't knock it till ya try it

Have you ever TRIED a decent lambic/ sour? Why you lurkin' if you are so grossed out? I don't have the stones to risk contaminating my brewery yet, but this thread is f@#&ing epic :rockin:

Tried them? Yes. Liked them? Yes. Want to look at the process? eh......

Tried them? Yes. Liked them? Yes. Want to look at the process? eh......

Still lurkin...you know what they say about bacteriaphobes right? :D

When you have repressed your hidden feelings for so long, unable to express your bacteriaphilia for fear of being bullied and abused by your BMC buddies (or worse yet, your beer snob buddies who SHOULD be more enlightened but have their own skeletons...), those feelings often come out as disparaging and derogatory attacks on those who would flaunt their freedom from the shackles of monotonous brewing.

When deep down inside, it is plain to see that there is a scared little wild brewer just waiting to declare his love of bugs, and wild yeast, and crusty pellicles for all the world to see...well we are here to help you come out of the closet my friend...

Stand up and say it loud, I'm Lambic and I'm proud...We're here, we make sour beer, get used to it!!! We're here, we make beer, get used to it :fro:

Just sayin...

Hilarious!
too funny indeed :D

here's teh latest growth of mixed culture.
this is a few weeks ago:
frankenbeerpellicle002.jpg

this is today after all the spots merged. it's quite impressive :)
frankenbeerpellicle009.jpg

frankenbeerpellicle003.jpg

Nice. I decided to take an SG sample last weekend and found that the flavor was awesome and I'm ready to bottle. Since I was cold crashing my lager anyways I decided to cold crash my old ale as well. Hopefully it'll do well for the May competition! :)

100_0311.jpg

That is down the mouth of a better bottle. It is staying in the primary fermenter and there is krausen residue stuck to the inside of the carboy in the headspace so I can't get a good picture from the side.

That is Wyeast Lambic Blend plus dregs from Lindeman's Cuve Rene three and a half months in.

I've got my first sour going now...the only room in the house I can keep good control of the temperature in is my bedroom...with all the sulfur coming off of it it smells like someone's been farting...a lot...

can't wait till the pellicle forms. these (okay... most of these) are beautiful...

If you have a regular 3 piece airlock on the fermentor you can go get a NATO gas mask canister. Tape it on top and that takes care of any sulfur smells. I've done that on a few fermentations since I started this hobby. The filter cartridge should be pretty cheap and it fits perfectly.

I've got my first sour going now...the only room in the house I can keep good control of the temperature in is my bedroom...with all the sulfur coming off of it it smells like someone's been farting...a lot...

can't wait till the pellicle forms. these (okay... most of these) are beautiful...

In my experience, temperature fluctuations actually do sours a lot of good.

My first pellicle, and it's not even from the beers I've put dregs into! (those were just pitched in the last week or two, so no pellicles yet)

The following are pictures of a beer brewed using a wild yeast I isolated from dates (the fruit, not people I was dating, though that might produce an interesting beer, too). What's interesting is the beer had a very sacc-like fermentation at first, so I was wondering if I'd happened upon some sacc species, but now I'm unsure. I'm pretty sure it was a single species, since I streaked it on agar and selected an isolated colony.

The pictures are kinda largish, so I'm using thumbnails and you can click on them for full resolution. First, through the mouth of the Better Bottle:

Then, through the little rectangular "window" on the side, which doesn't produce the greatest picture, but I thought it was kinda cool looking:

Then, from below, through the beer:

Notice how clearly you can see through to the other side -- this beer really has cleared better than any domesticated yeast I've used, and it went from 1.045 to 1.011 in about a month. Here's a picture of the krausen it had a few days after pitching:

WildAleI.krausen.jpg

A low res phone pic of my Drie Fonteinen Straffe Winter Clone (straffe winter dregs .5L starter + nottingham) @ six weeks as of Sunday:
196886_1652803284773_1377753541_1450844_7317396_n.jpg

And a quick shot of my Sour Patch, back three, left to right are House Bruin (partial mash, bucket, hoping it gets acidic enough to blend, coolshipped kind of), Oudesmobile (10% brett sour, may need something more acidic to blend with, but it's potent. brett c, lacto, and a cake from my sour rye.), Acidus Dui is a pale sour with a good does of oak and dregs and bugs.
The front three right to left are my first true turbid mash (no pellical yet, lots of drie dreg starters), my straffe winter clone (pictured above), and my Cuvee Madness. Cuvee Madness is a quad that I brewed in the nature of pannepot, slightly over spiced. It came in a little low, about 8% potential so I decided I would sour it with about 300ml of bordeaux and some bordeaux soaked french oak spirals. Framboise de Amorosa dregs, lebleu dregs, rosso e marron dregs, some bourbon soaked vanilla beans split and scraped. I went a little overboard, but it could be a fun project.
198134_1652802484753_1377753541_1450843_4350842_n.jpg
Cheers!
Dave

bwsourmash040411.jpg

48 hours into a berliner weisse.
Pitched 1.5L of a grain inoculated starter (pH = 2.3) into 5 gal @ 1.032. Temp steady at 90 F and what an incredible aroma!

awesome. what yeast did you use? and did you do a soured starter with the yeast or separate?

i'm brewing a berliner on saturday and using white labs platinum berliner blend... i'm going for a 7 gallon batch and using the white labs for 5 and going us-04 and lacto-d for the other 2...

awesome. what yeast did you use? and did you do a soured starter with the yeast or separate?

i'm brewing a berliner on saturday and using white labs platinum berliner blend... i'm going for a 7 gallon batch and using the white labs for 5 and going us-04 and lacto-d for the other 2...

That batch is only a sour starter: 1.5L of SG 1.032 innoculated with a handful of grain and left uncovered for 24 hours. No oxygen or stir plate was used. The starter was held at 100 F for 4 days while monitoring the pH, once it hit pH=2.3 the flask was left at room temp for a week. The gravity of the starter when I pitched was 1.004.

I haven't added any commercial yeast to it. My hope is that I've got a mix of wild yeast and lacto from the grain. A "wild" fermentation would be exciting. I am monitoring the gravity and pH for the next week to see if I am getting any significant fermentation. If the gravity doesn't drop off, I'll toss in some US-05 to ferment it out.

I have another 2.5 gals that was pitched with white labs BW blend, it krausened, but there is no pellicle forming yet.

yeah - my fear is that there's not gonna be enough lacto in the BW yeast blend WL sells... good luck..

img00252201104051928.jpg

72 hours into the berliner sour mash.
And it only get's sexier. Down to 1.024 from 1.032, pH 4.8 and tasting great...

Sorry for 2nd pic from the same batch. I'm excited.

This started out when I just threw my spent grains with some extra sparge water into a 2-gal bucket and put it on my fridge for a few weeks, in a pseudo sour mash. It smelled plenty sour and interesting at that point, and then I strained out the liquid, added some DME wort and Cuvée René dregs, and let that sit for another couple weeks. That was when I took the below pictures, this morning. After taking these pictures, I transferred this on top of some fresh wort in a Better Bottle. This is kinda just an experiment in sour bugs, more than an attempt at any particular beer style or anything:

bucket.pellicle.jpg

bucket.pellicle.closer.jpg

I have a couple good mason jar pellicles to post up. I need to grab my camera and get to it plus the pellicle on my 11-11-11 Old Ale had kicked back up and reappeared in the last couple weeks.

Lambic. Three months in. Pitched sacch at first then pitched the wyeast lambic blend after a month. planning on adding fruit in the fall and bottling in the spring, but we'll see.

Wow... I made my Berliner Weisse about 2.5 months ago, and my "pellicle" so far is really just a few thin, wispy strands. Yet people are getting some disgusting-looking one in a matter of weeks. Is it possible that it's simply due to the fact that I pretty much leave it alone completely, and therefore there's never any significant oxygen that it needs to separate itself from?

wow that vinnie, i hear nothing but good things about him. to be honest i was a little disappointed to hear that tomme arthur was suing moylan brewing for using a celtic cross. not very cool. take an hint from vinnie and avery brewing with their collaboration not litigation beer.

Interesting, hadn't heard of the suit, but what's also interesting and perhaps even a bit ironic is that Tomme was actually somewhat involved in that whole collaboration not litigation project. At the very least, he benefitted from it as the profits were being used to send 5 brewers on an educational trip to Belgium (Avery, Vinnie, Tomme, Sam Calagione from DFH, and Rob Tod from Allagash)!

But, in a community like craft brewing where almost everybody is fairly likeable, Tomme has always rubbed me the wrong way. Every time I hear something from him, or read a quote from the guy, I have always thought, "wow... what a pompous and self-obsessed jackass", and he's the only craft brewer that I can say I seriously don't like, to the point where if I somehow had a chance to brew with him for a day - even if it were using Pizza Port's equipment - I would seriously decline without having to think twice.

After hearing about this suit though, that just further cements everything, and I'm probably not going to buy his beers at all, unless it's absolutely the *only* thing drinkable that's available.

Back