Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked my lambic type beer two weeks after brewing and it looks like I have some nice green mold. Should I just dump this batch?

2 weeks after brewing or two weeks after fermentation?
Either way that would be a very fast pellicle, and it does look like mold to me... maybe a more trained eye would know better.

2 weeks after brewing or two weeks after fermentation?
indeed! looks like sum fruit too so makes me think secondary..
+1 for mold.. dont know if it could be rack from underneath and leave a little since only the top is affected.. wonder if it was brought in with the fruit, if its fruit:confused:

JP dregs do not mess around!

framboise_pellicle.jpg

My lambic with Cigar City Guava dregs.....

fpweeks, curious about this. Did you use other souring bugs or brett besides the Guava Grove dregs? Unless it was a much older vintage bottle, I'm pretty sure CC is producing this as a clean beer now. Either way, good looking pellicle there!

dcHokie said:
fpweeks, curious about this. Did you use other souring bugs or brett besides the Guava Grove dregs? Unless it was a much older vintage bottle, I'm pretty sure CC is producing this as a clean beer now. Either way, good looking pellicle there!

I had read on the mad fermentationist's blog that I could pitch from it. There was definitely something in the bottom I the bottle. It wasn't an old bottle.

I did pitch another bottle's dregs...and for the life of me I can't remember exactly what. Pretty sure it was a gueuze...

I had read on the mad fermentationist's blog that I could pitch from it. There was definitely something in the bottom I the bottle. It wasn't an old bottle.

I did pitch another bottle's dregs...and for the life of me I can't remember exactly what. Pretty sure it was a gueuze...

I believe these days it is just 3711. As the blog said they did use yeast, that included Brett, from St. Somewhere for the first few batches.

Good luck, the other bugs should carry you through.

Checked my lambic type beer two weeks after brewing and it looks like I have some nice green mold. Should I just dump this batch?

Not only does that look like mold, but looks almost like acetobacter forming with those pale orange circles.

When I get time a bit later I'll post some pictures of my kombucha. The SCOBY looks a lot like those orange patches... No mold on it, though. I introduced Brett. L. to the SCOBY culture, and I've been making hopped kombucha for some time now, so I think it's close enough to being on-topic.

Oldsock said:
I believe these days it is just 3711. As the blog said they did use yeast, that included Brett, from St. Somewhere for the first few batches.

Good luck, the other bugs should carry you through.

It's my first sour beer, so I'm pretty happy so far. Plan on racking to fruit after the pellicle drops.

I guess it would be fitting to use cherries, huh?!

Are you guys racking out of the primary after primary fermentation and letting the pellicle build in secondary or are you just leaving it in primary for a long time? Just wondering since most of you have really clean carboy necks while mine always is a mess!

I fermented with ale yeast in primary for ten days and racked to secondary. Then added the bugs. Seems like after doing more research the consensus is to leave in primary and pitch bugs cause there is more for bug to feast on

However I don't speak from experience. It's my first sour.

Saison fermented with Wyeast 3522 then Brett B added to secondary. Smells like funky bubblegum......I can't wait for this one!

IMAG0122.jpg

My first pellicle (i think)

Berliner Weisse after 24 hours of pitching a homemade lacto culture
photobucket-1222-1338447144428.jpg

and then two hours later. . .
photobucket-1445-1338447122811.jpg

^my air lock is now going crazy. Possible that wild yeast got in? Or is that typical for bacteria?

*I have not pitched any yeast*

sddanc said:

and then two hours later. . .

^my air lock is now going crazy. Possible that wild yeast got in? Or is that typical for bacteria?

That is straight sex...

[snip]

Lacto will cause a raging fermentation exactly like yeast. At least I had this when I made my 2 berliner wiesse batches. In fact, what I see in your picture I believe is just normal fermentation stuff, foam from CO2 and protiens and such.

Interesting!! I thought it was pellicle because I saw those stringy projections coming from the little masses. I guess we will see what it does!

this morning

photobucket-15975-1338480481095.jpg

Ok, I am convinced this is a legitimate pellicle

Berliner Weisse inoculated with WhiteLabs Brett B Trois after 36 hours

photobucket-22697-1338913134295.jpg

JP dregs do not mess around!

Soma, just curious, which JP dregs did you use? Ive got a one gallon batch running on the dregs from two bottles of La Roja, and a starter from a bottle of Cinco Anos I plan on adding once stepped up a bit. I'm excited...

This is my Northern Brewer Grand Cru Lambic after 6 months. I threw in some dregs from a couple bottles of Petrus Oud Bruin and a bottle of Mikeller's It's Alive after a couple months.

Question, what exactly am I looking at? By the way, it smells awesomely sour.

7346226808_def3018a78_b.jpg

7346227014_2ae17dd7f1_b.jpg

I have 2 going at the moment. Crappy iPod pics though.

image-428423529.jpg

One is a Berliner Weiss which started as a sour mash inoculated with yogurt containing Lacto.bulgaricus. But some lacto made it through the short boil, probably on a spoon or other utensil. Now it's been sitting on a kilo of tart cherries for about a month. The unfruited samples I bottled were superbly refreshing, but not as tangy as I would like.

image-573100687.jpg

The second is a blond which was pitched with built up Supplication and Petrus Oud Brun dregs. A week ago, I racked it onto an ounce of white wine soaked oak French oak cubes. Bugs just became visually evident 2 days ago. Now it's going to town.

image-636805255.jpg

A third was brewed yesterday as a Flanders Red and is in primary now with Wyeast's Roselare Blend. I also have a vial of WLP644 Brett B Trois to put to task on another batch of blond (hopefully be end of June). First sour/wild brews for me. I expect way down the road some will be bottled as is and some used for blending.

Wow. I can't tell you how happy I am to have found this thread! I've been taking pictures and following my lambic pellicle. Its all on my site, but here is a quick rundown:

EDIT: Bug strain is ECY "Levi Funk Lambic Blend" ;)

Day 17:
2012-02-13+17.25.10.jpg

Day 22:
2012-02-17+16.38.12.jpg

Day 34:
2012-03-01+16.30.24.jpg

Day 60:
2012-03-27+17.17.49.jpg

Day 102:
2012-05-08+17.15.42.jpg

Wow. I can't tell you how happy I am to have found this thread! I've been taking pictures and following my lambic pellicle. Its all on my site, but here is a quick rundown
What strain of buggies? It's very important to list your stain so we can try to draw correlations on pellicle/growths to yeast strains. This is very important research here:D

stubbornman said:
Lacto starter (grain + apple juice) for next weekends Berliner (hopefully).

Ok I'm thinking of dumping this. It smells like apple cider vinegar. Is the vinegar / nail polish remover smell a dead giveaway here?

stubbornman said:
Ok I'm thinking of dumping this. It smells like apple cider vinegar. Is the vinegar / nail polish remover smell a dead giveaway here?

Not necessarily. I've had some stuff smell like that early on but it never tasted like it.

Little update on my Moose Drool clone with 3lbs of cherry puree and Crooked Stave WWBG dregs at 5 months. I'm pretty sure the horizontal fermentation helps.

download.jpeg

Back