Help! Fermentation is stuck on Belgian Quad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisxxmyIPA

Reaction score
So.... my fermentation seems to be stuck for my Quad. I used Wyeast Trappist High Grav, and have since pitched dry champagne yeast to try to finish up fermentation. The champagne yeast has produced no krausen and seems to be going nowhere.

Furthermore - The simple syrup that I started feeding to the 3787 seems to actually be floating on top. I'm not sure if it's the lighting, but I'm damn near sure I see a distinct layer on top of the (mostly fermented) wort that is a bit lighter than the rest.

Suggestions? Please!!

Oftentimes wine yeasts such as your champange yeast will not produce krausen but rather just a little bubbles around the edge of your fermentor. How long has it been since you pitched your second yeast? If its been a week or so you may want to just check the gravity if you arent very confident the yeast did their job. Another thing to note on stuck fermentations is that oftentimes a temp too low will just bring the yeast into a "sleep" or resting stage. Hope this helps.

What is the gravity? Did the yeast flocculate? How long has it been in the fermenter?

I would raise the temp into the low to mid 70's and swirl the fermenter to re-suspend the yeast.

Grav is @ 1.042. It did flocculate, I think it's been a little over three weeks now. I just started working on the temp, so I'll aim for 72-73ish and give it a nice rousing. Thanks so far guys!

1.042 ! dang that's screwed up. You may need to make a very active starter and pitch that at high krausen. Throwing dry or dormant yeast is a waste as it will just fall dead to the bottom.

hahaha, yeah this thing is a beast. I'll see what starts to happen at higher temperatures, and then we'll see if I have to make a big starter and repitch some yeast. Thanks man!

I had a very similar thing happen with my belgian strong ale. Yeast quit and flocced at 1.064, down from 1.104. I pitched a big, actively fermenting starter, and heated up the fermenter above 75 degrees and I am down to 1.020 and counting......

My experience so far, is that big belgians need heat.

I am using chimay yeast and I never got much krausen, I am wondering if it is a decendent of wine or champagne yeast of some sort.

Back