Fermenting 11 Gallon batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael.berta

Reaction score
I've been brewing all grain 11 gallon batches for a while now. Currently I use 2 six gallon better bottles per batch. I like them and all but it is kind of a pain to deal with two fermenters per batch of beer. It's extra cleaning, extra sanitizing, extra airlocks and stoppers, etc. I only have one flask and stir plate. It is kind of a pain to divide my yeast slurry equally into two fermenters. I don't know; I guess I'm just lazy.

I don't want to spend tons of money on a conical. There has to be others in this same situation as me. Any suggestions for fermenters large enough to ferment 11 gallons of wort that does not involve an expensive conical?

Do you really want to be moving an 11 gallon fermentor around when it's full?

I ferment in Sanke kegs. I have done a 12 gallon batch with success. I move them with a dolly.

BYO had a great article on the foodgrade "BRUTE" rubbermade trashcans.....until I thought about moving one full.

Then again, I ferment in my basement, my brewing goes on upstairs or outside. You may brew where you ferment.....maybe..

Then again, I ferment in my basement, my brewing goes on upstairs or outside. You may brew where you ferment.....maybe..

I brew in my garage and ferment in my basement. It's scary enough just carrying 5 gallon fermenters down those stairs.

I brew in my garage and ferment in my basement. It's scary enough just carrying 5 gallon fermenters down those stairs.

I hate to admit it, but carrying 5 gallons up or down leaves my back sore for a couple of days....

I had considered getting enough food grade hose to go from the upstairs to my fermenter downstairs (25 gallons) but the logistics and possible aeration, not to mention syphoning from something on the floor of the basement......

I have a one story house so I don't have to worry about stairs. I have a dolly to move it back and forth as needed. What would it take to convert one of the HDPE barrels? I'm assuming just a stopper over the top hole? Then clean like a better bottle (no brushes)?

Back