Official Broken Hydrometer Count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Broke my first hydrometer today before i even mashed in. Poor thing was over 10 years old. Guess I am gonna wing it on this batch.

576, Made the foolsh mistake of grabbing the tube thinking the lid was on and it slid rightout on tothe floor.

578..... had it drying on the counter and put my auto siphon on top if it by accident. This one's actually my doing, I'm sure the wife won't let me hear the end of it 'til she breaks the next one. ;)

582.....Stood protective tube up on the counter. Grabbed my pint of beer. Turned back, whacked it and watched it fall as I thought, "I ain't dropping my beer to save THAT".

F! 583
sitting in flask went to pick it up with wet hands, slipped and it fell back in and broke the tip on the base of the flask..

Worst thing is all the little bearings that came out have a petroleum smell that I need to wash out of the flask..

Seeing this thread reminded me i need to get one on my trip to the LHBS on Friday.

Don't even know how it broke, just saw that it broke in my sink.

Left mine in wine thief tube, grabbed tube at wrong end and spun around, centrifugal force kicked its butt.

I just broke mine today getting my stuff out to brew this weekend. The very top of it was sticking out of the plastic tube that i keep it in and moved one of my pots and just clipped the top of it. LBHS is over an hour away....:mad:

First batch ever 4 days ago and i drop it getting the OG. Good thing i had a backup. Gotta get it out of the way right off the bat

The little round cap on the top somehow sheared off while in its protective case. Shortly after I had finally purchased a sample tube. Just ordered a refractometer for the brew day later this week, and will eventually buy a replacement hydrometer.

Swmbo broke mine 3 weeks ago as I was bottling. Told her if I was kegging stuff like this wouldnt happen. Just tapped my first keg yesterday :)

Put me down for one. Didn't even make it past my first brew. I'm more careful now.

I just picture some French hydrometer guy smoking a cigar and laughing it up as he presses the refresh button on this thread.

Took a reading this morning with mine & noticed it finished better than expected. Pulled the hydrometer out of the sample tube and saw the wort sitting on top of the lead weight. Glass chipped off around the bottom of the weight.

612, left the tube with hydrometer on the garage floor. Moved a water hose and knocked it over.. smaaaash. Fail.

Dropped it and the graduated cylinder filled with wort. I did get my O.G. first!

I've busted 2 hydrometers and 2 thermometers. I just broke my thermometer this weekend and haven't bought a new one, but I think I'm just going to get a bi-metal 12" from MoreBeer. Hopefully I won't break that type.

Mine developed a tiny crack that let water in and messed up the readings. It made me think my gravity was 20 points wrong, so I overcompensated and messed up a batch before I realized that my hydrometer was reading -20 points on plain water.

Test your hydrometer with plain water before you go believing it.

Back