My First brew: How long should I leave it in the primary fermenter before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trustyhank

Reaction score
Im using a full plastic kit that I bought from the LHBS. The recipe is for an IPA, extract with partial mashing. Ive been reading that John Palmer website, and Im definitely not doing a secondary fermentation. But Ive seen a lot of mixed information as to how long I should keep the brew in the primary fermenter before bottling, as little as 6 days to as long as 2 months. Its been in there for 2 days now, according to the hydrometer the fermentation is still going strong. What do you guys think?

a good start would be to let it sit a week to clear after the hydro reading bottoms out.

Welcome to HBT!

I routinely leave mine for 4+ weeks in primary BUT since this is your first beer, try to leave it at least 3 weeks before you bottle. This allow for the yeast to finish fermenting, clean up its waste (off flavors) and clear your beer. After the 3 weeks, take a reading to make sure it is at final gravity and bottle it up.

Here is the bad news...after waiting 3 weeks for it to ferment you get to wait another 3 weeks for it to carbonate.

I almost never check my beer until at least 2 weeks in primary. I prefer 3 weeks, except bigger beers I do 4 weeks. Fermentation averages 7-10 days. It can be less or more though.

Ah ok, Ive been reading around it sounds like you guys are saying I should follow the 1+2+3 rule, but add the 1+2 because Im not doing secondary. Thanks guys!.

its his first beer guys there's no way he's going to wait a month or two. :mug:

3 weeks, then bottle and let it condition another 3. Try it at 2 if you're desperate but it'll be green.

Back